We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boothbay Harbor or Camden area?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Boothbay Harbor or Camden area?

Like many others, we plan to stop one night on the beautiful Maine coast between Acadia NP and Boston. This will be in July. Researching options on the forum, I've concluded that either the Camden area or the Boothbay Harbor area would be best. I'd love help to decide between the two. We are two reasonably active adults with an 11yo son. We love the outdoors, but also town activities and history. We're traveling from California.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Best,

Follin

5 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
165 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden area?

Both are great places to visit..with many activites

But if you are looking to break upt he trip between Boston and Acadia..and have just one night I would recommend Boothbay Harbor..

Although you really cant go wrong with either location..

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden area?

Either one but the Ice Cream on the Pier in Boothbay would seal the deal for me. Next morning, head to Camden for breakfast at The Marriner's Café and take a short stroll around the bay and downtown. Then onward to Acadia.

Willow Street...
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden area?

Look into a wonderful small hotel just across the bridge from boothbay harbor in Southport.

Belfast, Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden area?

I would recommend Camden , I live nearby and the hiking on Mount Battie with the view of the island is spectacular. Also near by is Belfast with community boating for free. Contact Come Boating online for information on this.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boothbay Harbor or Camden area?

Hi Follin!

They're two different sorts of places:

- Boothbay Harbor is a charming resort village, near the end of a long peninsula. It boasts a highly charming waterfront, a harbor with a pedestrian bridge, and tourist shops and restaurants. Do not go if there's a south wind in July. It fogs in.

- Camden is a small town along the way. It's on the water too, though it's not as charming as Boothbay Harbor. The shopping is less touristy. It has other towns nearby, like Belfast where you'll find a walking bridge over the harbor.

If I were looking for a resort treat (and had a north or west wind), I'd pick Boothbay Harbor. Camden would be a better choice if you want to get on your way in the morning, or would like to explore towns and attractions around.

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Reply to: Boothbay Harbor or Camden area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted