We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving Maine and need some help!

Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
Moving Maine and need some help!

I am moving to Maine (I was hoping I could do this in July, but am hearing its really hard during that month)

I need to find an apartment that allows pets and is located either in Rockport or Camden. Any ideas?

I have searched high and low on craigslist, vrb0, kinneyrentals, mainecoastnow classifieds as well as a few other random websites.

I am also trying to plan a trip up there the last weekend in April in hopes of finding an apartment.

Can anyone give me any advice or pointers?

Thank you

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving Maine and need some help!

I gave some advice back in February about renting when you have a dog. See thread called "moving to Brunswick from Florida" here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g40541-i2649-k1768…

You might also look online for possible ads in the the Village Soup, see http://www.villagesoup.com and the Bangor Daily News, BangorNews.com

When you are there, go look on the bulletin boards at the Maine Workshops, see http://www.theworkshops.com/

If you are moving for a job, get your new employer to help you.

Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving Maine and need some help!

thank you so much for your help!

i will be attending rockport college, but have had no luck with the housing department and they have not yet gotten back with and im desperate to get things in order before going out of town for several weeks.

thank you again!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving Maine and need some help!

You may have to live in an outlying town (Union, Hope, etc.) but you'd probably have more fun at this point living really close to the campus (Camden, Rockland or Rockport). Scour the bulletin boards, especially in the building behind the Homestead (I don't know what the building is called, but it's a dining hall downstairs.)

Does the college have an online forum where you can ask other students and faculty for recommendations?

Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving Maine and need some help!

I have been in contact with a faculty member - and I am trying to have him get me in touch with a student there who lives in Rockport (she moved there with her dog)...so we will see.

I am not optimistic about finding a place in Rockport and am willing to live in Camden or Rockland.

I just really hope I find something when I travel up there at the end of this month!

Thanks again for you help

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving Maine and need some help!

Hi ZombieCake,

Check out the www.camdenme.org. This is the Camden/Rockport/Lincolnville Chamber of Commerce site. From there look for a link to local real estate brokers and contact them. Mostly all R.E. brokers in Maine handle rentals whether they be long term or short. And they'll know the ins and outs of the market, who allows pets, etc. If they don't, most likely they'll be able to point you in the right direction or will know someone who is renting out space.

Meanwhile, are you attending what used to be called the Rockport School of Photography and is now the Mainen Media Workshops? If so, a wonderful group of people run it and you'll love it :).

Good luck finding a place!

cozyharbor

Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving Maine and need some help!

Hey Cozy

Yes I will be attending this fall - but want to move up there earlier in the summer so I have some Maine summertime!

I know I have checked out that web address before, but was a little unsure about calling realtors because I assumed they all dealt with sales. Now I know different and will give that shot today.

Thanks !

7. Re: Moving Maine and need some help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, September 17, 2009