We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perfect country restaurant in Hope ME

Maryland
Level Contributor
470 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Perfect country restaurant in Hope ME

We intend to post a glowing review about the Hatchet Mountain Publick House in Hope ME, but it will go in the Hope forum where almost no one will see it. So. we're also posting it as a heads-up for folks in Rockland who like fine dining. If you're tired of waiting in lines and want someplace quiet, peaceful, and reasonable that takes reservations, Hatchet Mountain Publick House is the place.From Rockland, it's is less than 30 minutes away, but take the beautiful scenic back roads to get there, not rt. 1 through Camden. We went based on nothing but excellent reviews here on Tripadvisor and all the reviews are exactly right! The restaurant is in a lovely farmhouse and is decorated in a rustic but elegant theme, filled with antiques. It's billed as a tavern, so it offers a wide variety of sandwiches as well as two or three dinner entree specials. As an appetizer, we split a salad with local greens, blueberries, roasted pine nuts, and a blueberry vinaigrette dressing that was emulsified perfectly and clung to the salad. The half salad I ate was more than most full salads at other places. We then had the honey dipped grilled salmon special, which was the best salmon we've ever had! It was perfectly cooked and came with wonderful garlic mashed potatoes and whole green beans. (A diner at another table had the other special, hangar steak, and told us it was fabulous.) We were so thrilled with the dinner that we asked to speak to the owner/chef, Brian, who told us that he only uses fresh ingredients and almost all are locally produced. He bakes all the rolls and bread himself and even grew the greens in the salad on the premises. We're just sorry we didn't go until near the end of our trip, but we plan to come back for lunch before we leave. Sorry to wax poetic, but it was such a lovely drive, meal, and total experience - and everyone from "away" should be supporting local chefs and restaurants!! And we're not related to the owner; we just thought this was such a find that we should share it......

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
792 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perfect country restaurant in Hope ME

Your review worked! I've heard about that place, and now I'll make it a point to try it. Thanks.

Maryland
Level Contributor
470 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perfect country restaurant in Hope ME

Wonderful!! The review was so glowing I was afraid people would think I was a relative. :-) Just keep in mind that they generally have two entrees, hangar steak and salmon and possibly a third, plus the sandwiches. It's a small operation, so they can't offer a zillion entrees. But, between steak and salmon, almost anyone should be happy. The folks around us wre also raving about the sandwiches. :-)

Rockland, Maine
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Perfect country restaurant in Hope ME

Hatchet Mountain is very good yes. I'll also throw in another place away from the greater Rockland/Camden area -- The Badger Cafe & Pub in Union. Unbelievable beer selection and really good, upscale bar food.

Maryland
Level Contributor
470 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perfect country restaurant in Hope ME

We actually were going to go there, but they were closed on Monday. We'll have to try it on our next trip since (unfortunately), we have to head back to MD shortly. Thanks for the heads-up!!

5. Re: Perfect country restaurant in Hope ME

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, August 24, 2014