We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Arts District

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
181 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
The Arts District

Hello everyone,

I'm going to Old Port this weekend and will be staying in Old Port. How a far is Old Port from the Arts District? And is it walkable? I am interested in visiting the Museum of African Culture while there. Is it worth seeing?

Mentioned in this post
Old Port
Old Port
982 Reviews
Portland, ME
Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Arts District

You can walk to the Arts District easily----probably about ten minutes or so. It's not far.

I haven't been to the Museum of African Culture myself, but have heard good reports. We have a lot of African culture (including good restaurants, churches and mosques, etc) here in Portland as we have a large community of people from Somalia, Sudan, Congo, Burundi, Rwanda, and Ethiopia.

One thing to keep in mind: the museum is closed Sundays, so plan to make your visit on Saturday. I think it's open 10:30-5:00. Have a great time in Portland!

Mentioned in this post
Newburyport...
Level Contributor
181 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Arts District

Thank you so much Cessnapilot. Can you recommend any african restaurants?

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Arts District

I don't look at Trip Advisor everyday, and as a result missed your inquiry. Since it's already Saturday night, I hope you found the little African restaurants (they do tend to be little neighborhood places, and I can't think of any you could have walked to from the Old Port) and if not, that you had a good time here in Portland anyway. Sorry I missed your question in time to help.

Mentioned in this post
Old Port
Old Port
982 Reviews
Portland, ME
4. Re: The Arts District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 23, 2009