We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things for a New Local to know/see/do/eat

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
805 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Things for a New Local to know/see/do/eat

Hello fellow boarders!

I've been living downeast Maine for some time now and have spent a lot of time in the Portland area. However, as of a few weeks ago I am now living in Portland! (Well, it's really Westbrook, call me a liar for a mile. :-) )

Anyway - I'm looking for local knowledge now. What do I do/see/eat on my weekends here? Is there stuff I should know as a local? Where are the good local restaurants (nobody say DeMillo's! :-) )? You get the idea.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

-dragon

Special PS for anyone who knows the Westbrook area: Every now and then you want to bring home dinner after work, but not "take out" food. You know, something you might pop into the oven for a little bit and, presto, it's dinner. The only place I've been able to find stuff like that is Hannaford. Any other places in Westbrook or surrounding towns that would fit the bill? I work near the airport so it can be anywhere in that area or Westbrook. Thanks!

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Things for a New Local to know/see/do/eat

I hope you like your new place. I'm sure you will enjoy all the great things the Portland area has to offer. I'll probably post several times as things occur to me. And I'm sure you will get tons of suggestions from others.

Have you been to Chicky's Fine Diner in Westbrook yet? I like it. I think the servings are absurdly huge, though I suppose that's OK if you go in with the assumption that you'll take a bunch of it home and have another meal of it later.

The Portland Spice Company, which used to be in the Portland Public Market, is now at 34 Vannah Ave (off Forest Ave just past Woodford). They make fantastic sandwiches now. They are offering several varieties of Molinari's (San Francisco) salamis that are out of this world.

Out at the airport you're near a Ricetta's pizza. Great pizza and pasta dishes. They make fantastic calzones. I wonder if they would "half bake" one for you so that you can finish it off at home when you want. If not, they're pretty big, so you might just get a hot one to take home, then eat half and save half for later.

A great place downtown for a quick meal is Duckfat. They make terrific panini, milkshakes and absolutely killer belgian fries. They're very close to Micucci's, which has some prepared foods and is a good place to shop for Italian specialties, including wine.

More later....

2. Re: Things for a New Local to know/see/do/eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 19, 2009