We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant in Portland

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, MA
2 posts
Save Topic
Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant in Portland

Coming up from Boston for Thanksgiving and hoping to have an old fashion Thanksgiving dinner somewhere.

What do you suggest?

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant in Portland

Hi Jspen,

If you're willing to drive 20 minutes north to Freeport, you could dine at the Haraseeket Inn right on Main St.

This is a classic, lovely old Inn with 2 restaurants, fireplaces everywhere, a wonderful pub, and loads of charm. I would think having Thanksgiving dinner there would be a delight. Was just there yesterday for lunch and as always, was not disappointed and just loved the ambience of the place.

Afterward, you could shop/browse at LL Beans which is open 24/7 and walk off some of the turkey :).

Another place that may be open for Thanksgiving is the Audubon Room at Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, which is just a few minutes south of Portland. The restaurant has large windows looking out to the water, has wonderful ambience, and great food.

Afterward you could stroll down their boardwalk to Crescent Beach and again, walk off some of your dinner :).

Check out websites for both places at www.haraseeketinn.com and www.innbythesea.com.

Hope I've helped somewhat. If you're looking for a place right in the city, hopefully the Portland Export will pipe in with some suggestions.

Good luck and let us know where you decide to go :).

cozyharbor

Maine
Level Contributor
829 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant in Portland

Cozyharbor, as usual, suggested two perfect spots. Nothing intown that would be of the ambiance & quality of those is coming to mind, but there's usually ads in the paper as the date gets closer, and I can post something then if anything jumps out.

Cambridge, MA
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant in Portland

Thank you so much

I made tentative reservationns at the Inn in Freeport and Have not heard back from the Inn by the Sea.

The former only offers a buffet. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant in Portland

Hi Jaspen,

I bet the buffet will be wonderful at the Haraseeket and done very well. I can't imagine being disappointed. Plus it'll still be a regal sort of affair with a waiter/waitress serving drinks, coffee, etc. Btw, did you check out their website? And also the Inn by the Sea's?

In any case, I can't really think of anywhere else within a reasonable drive from Portland, that would be as perfect for Thanksgiving dinner as either of the places I suggested. That's not to say places don't exist, it's just that I don't know about them if they do!

cozyharbor

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant in Portland

As soon as I read your post, before I even saw the replies, I thought of Harraseeket. We had Thanksgiving dinner there a couple of years ago and it was by far the best Thanksgiving dinner we have ever had, anywhere. Don't be put off by the fact it's a buffet......It is actually SEVERAL buffets, containing everything imaginable---not just the traditional menu items, but an entire table of seafood, of appetizers, of desserts......wonderful. The atmosphere is beautiful, with flowers, ice sculptures, roaring fire, etc etc. The table service is still good in erms of making sure your other needs are met.

DCA
Springfield...
Level Contributor
407 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant in Portland

Small correction for one of the URLs above:

http://www.harraseeketinn.com/

I'm a Mainer in exile, looking for someplace closer to or in Portland, maybe a little more family-friendly. Village Cafe and DiMillo's come to mind, but I'm not really a fan of those particular restaurants.

As a poster mentioned above, the Press Herald will run ads. Locals, let us exiles know if you see some other good ideas!

portland
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant in Portland

Salt water grille in South Portland.

They are serving a Thanksgiving dinner. The view is across the harbor looking at Portland and the food is always excellent and plentiful. Take a look http://www.saltwatergrille.com/holidays.html

I am sure you won't be disapointed!

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant in Portland

I second (third?) cozyharbor's suggestion of the Harraseeket. If you want to consider another place, you might take a look at the Robinhood Free Meetinghouse, which is about 45 minutes up the coast. They are serving a five-course Thanksgiving meal with bookings from noon to 6pm for $40 per person. I've always dined very well at this restaurant, and have heard that the Thanksgiving dinner is excellent. Their website is http://www.robinhood-meetinghouse.com.

9. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner at a restaurant in Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, September 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Portland
Recent Conversations