We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late October in Portland

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Late October in Portland

I will be in Portland the last weekend in October on my honeymoon...we are from Texas...my husband and I are in our mid 30's and we enjoy listening to good music, good seafood, drinking cold beer and just relaxing. We are not too much in to the whole dance scene--any suggestions of some good places to venture to when we want to go out in the evening and some good places to eat authentic New England seafood? My husband also LOVES lighthouses but has never seen one in person......what do you suggest as to ones not to miss?? We will have a rental car....ANY suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance!!

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late October in Portland

Hi TexasJJ,

I'm hoping the Portland expert will pipe in, but I can help a little bit. Plus by my responding, this post will jump up to the first page where more people will hopefully respond. Once posts get bumped onto page 3 or 4, alot of people miss them.

I don't know Portland that well, but there's the Old Port area with tons of restaurants, bars, coffee bistro's, etc. I've heard Fore Street and Street and Co. are great places. Have also heard Flatbread for pizza is wonderful.

For siteseeing, definitely drive out to Cape Elizabeth to see Portland Headlight. It sits high on a bluff overlooking the ocean and shipping lanes and the views are stunning and very dramatic. Winslow Homer was a resident of the area and captured the drama of the seas in many of his paintings. Consequently you might also want to go the Portland Museum of Art to view some great Maine landscapes as well as some Impressionist's and others.

If Two Lights Lobster Shack is still open nearby, definitely stop there for some great seafood in a wonderful location overlooking the ocean and a defunct lighthouse.

Just north of Portland, about a 15 minute drive is Freeport, home to LL Beans and tons of great outlet shops. The Haraseeket Inn has a nice cozy restaurant, perfect to have lunch at on a crisp October day.

If you don't mind driving an hour north of Portland, come up to Boothbay Harbor where you'll be able to see 4 lighthouses. From downtwon BBH alone, you can see Burnt Island and the Cuckholds lighthouses in the distance.

But if you drive out to Ocean Pt. (about 10 to 15 from downtown BBH) you'll be able to see all 4, walk Shore Road which is lovely with views out to sea to one side and quaint, turn of the century summer homes to the other.

Also from downtown BBH you can drive out to 2 lighthouses on Southport Island. These are the Cuckholds and Hendricks Head.

You'll be able to see both of these pretty close up, though you can't walk on the property of Hendricks, as it's privately owned and the Cuckholds is it out at sea only reachable by boat.

However, one can get a darn good view of both. Also at Hendricks Head is a lovely little beach where you might find some nice shells and/or sea glass. It's a low to mid tide beach though, so plan accordingly.

Though BBH tends to get a bit more quiet during late October and many shops/restaurants/accomodations close then, there's still quite a few still open and worth going to.

For lunch try the Ebb Tide, Townsend Wine and Coffee Bar, Tugboat Inn, or Mama D's. For dinner, try either the Thistle, 93 Townsend, or McSeagulls (which I believe closes after Halloween).

A note about 93 Townsend; it has great atmosphere, a nice bar; but it's food is a bit inconsistent. I love their caesar salad with grilled chicken or salmon and cornbread croutons. Also their haddock dish is good. There are other decent entre's that friends have tried but I don't recall what they are. On the whole the food is pretty good but I just wanted to alert you some of their stuff is not as good as it could be.

A couple of good sites to check out that may help you plan your trip is www.visitmaine.org or com- not sure, ,lol; and www.boothbayharbor.com. Also, if you can borrow or purchase Christina Tree's "An Explorer's Guide to Maine" you won't be disappointed. Hers is the one of the most well written guides to the state. Her recommendations and descriptions of accomodations, restaurants, scenic drives, etc. are right on.

Also go back and read the different threads under the Portland, BBH, and maybe even Kennebunkport and Ogunquit forums for past posts. They may really help you out.

Good luck and let us know how you make out :).

cozyharbor

Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Late October in Portland

Thanks so much for the response! You provided alot of helpful info..we are really excited about the trip and want to do as much as we can in the time we have!! So all of the info we can obtain ahead of time is awesome!!! Thanks again!!

3. Re: Late October in Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:23 pm, August 13, 2009