We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harbor Fish Market?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
407 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Harbor Fish Market?

In Portland Aug 1 - 4. Our lodging, (off Pine St. in West End), has full kitchen, and we want to purchase lobsters to cook at home. No car, and will be walking into Old Port daily.

Is Harbor Fish Market the place to buy, or are there other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harbor Fish Market?

Harbor Fish is great, because it is so iconic. It's been there on the wharf forever and is such a historic building. It's a lot of fun to visit.

However, if you are walking from Pine Street and the west end, Free Range Fish and Lobster Co., at 450 Commercial Street, is probably a shorter walk and their lobsters are just as good. Also on Commercial Street, there is a lobster stand/shack next to Benny's (a casual restaurant that looks sort of like a dump but the food is actually okay). They've had signs out this week that their lobsters are $4.59/lb. Benny's is at 199 West Commercial Street.

Enjoy!

Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harbor Fish Market?

An update to my comment: I am reading the reviews of Benny's here on TripAdvisor and it sounds like it has gone way downhill. I haven't been there for a few years but reading these reviews, I don't think I'll be back!

Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harbor Fish Market?

At the lobster stand, the sign said $3.79/lb for lobsters this morning.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harbor Fish Market?

As Leslie said, there are several options. We shop by price in Portland, as they're always alive and kicking (unlike some places that have held them too long...). Leslie: 3.79 sounds good to me!

5. Re: Harbor Fish Market?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Portland