We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whoopie pies?

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
whoopie pies?

We're planning our first trip to Maine and staying in South Portland. I guess we will have to try the official state treat while we are there. :-) Where is a good place to buy whoopie pies in South Portland or Old Port? Is it possible to bring them home or are they something we need to eat on the spot?

Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whoopie pies?

You can get fantastic whoopie pies at Two Fat Cats Bakery on India Street in Portland. In the fall, I love their pumpkin version; on St. Patrick's Day they had chocolate with a mint filling that were also terrific.

I've never had a whoopie pie last more than two minutes in my life--I don't know how well they age or if they can be frozen. You could ask at the bakery.

Scratch Bakery in Willard Square, So. Portland is also terrific but I don't know if they sell whoopie pies. It is not as convenient for me so I've only been in there a few times. People rave about their bagels but they sell out fast. I like the muffins.

Enjoy!

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whoopie pies?

Thank you! Those both sound great. I'm looking forward to this trip, especially the food. :-)

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whoopie pies?

Many local stores around Maine carry the Wicked Whoopie brand of whoopie pies -- they were created and are still manufactured by a Maine-based company, in a variety of flavors, and come very close to the ones my mother used to make when we were kids.... So if you see that label, even though it may not be made in the store where you see it, it's a good bet.

As far as traveling with them, you probably could do so with care... the problem is that if they get bumped or packed too tightly with other things, the pressure on the top and bottom tends to squeeze the filling out the sides.... which can be a big enough problem when you're trying to eat one, but which becomes even more magnified if you're trying to unwrap one that's been "squished" somewhere in travel. Like Leslie N says, with us they don't last long enough to travel very far from wherever we buy them -- usually to the sidewalk, or maybe as far as the car....

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whoopie pies?

Sounds like we'll just have to enjoy them right there at the store. :-) Thanks!

Any suggestions for food items we could bring back with us? I was thinking things like Maine-made jams or honeys.

Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whoopie pies?

Visit Stonewall Kitchen--all kinds of wonderful food products, all made right here in Maine. The original store is in York but they also have locations in Portland and Camden, as well as other states.

www.stonewallkitchen.com/storelocator.html

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
106 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whoopie pies?

Bit of a whoopie pie fanatci here. Yes you can travel with Whoopie Pies and yes they can be frozen.

Ever since our first trip to Maine years ago and tasting the joy that is a whoopie pie, it has become a Christmas tradition that we order a few dozen from Wicked Whoopies in Farmingdale ME and have them delivered as a Christmas Day treat.

We freeze what's left and eat them throughout the year. They're a little taste of Maine all the way across the country here in Seattle.

While in Maine I always bring a couple of them home and with a bit of bubble wrap they arrive in my checked bag just fine.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
106 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: whoopie pies?

oops.

fanatci = fanatic

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: whoopie pies?

Awesome! Looks like I have lots of great gift options.

9. Re: whoopie pies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, July 16, 2013
Berlin, NH
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: whoopie pies?

Here's another place www.ananiasvariety.com/ordereze/default.aspx. Their whoopie pies are award winning from the whoopie pie festival http://mainewhoopiepiefestival.com/