We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nature in Portland area

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Smithville, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nature in Portland area

I am coming in mid July to Maine.. My flight comes into Portland late so I am staying there for a day and a half then have a beautiful cottage arranged in the Leeds area. It is the first time in 13 years of marriage and since having my wonderful son 12 years ago, that I am going anywhere's solo :) .I just want to totally relax and see nature. I want waterfalls, trails, mountains, lakes, etc (you name it).. I could care less about museums, shops, fine dining, etc. Any suggestions as what to do on my day in Portland area? Also, where is the best hotel to stay in that area? Nothing extravagant- I just need a room.. I will have a rental and a gps- so I can find places with no issues.. Thanks everyone!

Maine
Level Contributor
763 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nature in Portland area

Check So. Portland for a room as it will be cheaper than Portland. All the chains are represented around the Maine Mall (close to the airport). We're partial to Hampton Inn and there is one adjacent to the Mall parking lot. For a nature day, there are so many options. Take Casco Bay Lines to Peak's Island and walk, or rent a bike, around the island...sit on the rocks and stare at the water. Do the lighthouse loop - Bug Light (there's a small park there), Spring Point (walk out on the breakwater and take in the view), Portland Head Light (there's a new trail along the cliffs there that I have not walked yet), then on to Two Lights State Park (climb on the rocks, hike the trails). Drive past the State Park entrance to get to the actual lighthouses and the famous Lobster Shack (grab some lunch and enjoy the ocean view). Hope this gives you some ideas. Enjoy your visit to Maine.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nature in Portland area

Pegoode gave you great ideas. I will just add one caveat for you and all driving visitors to Maine: Don't completely trust a GPS. Maine has many "paper" roads that exist on maps, but are not truly driveable. They might be logging roads or discontinued roads, etc. It is not uncommon to receive an invitation with instructions to follow their directions and shut off your GPS, Mapquest or other electronic maps.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nature in Portland area

You might also want to Google the Scarborough Marsh Audobon Center if you're interested in visiting a tidal marsh.... just ashort drive from Portland. Also some good hiking trails in Bradbury Mtn State Park in Freeport ME or more-coastal-like trails at Wolf's Neck State Park, also in Freeport (both Google-able).

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nature in Portland area

We love doing the lighthouse loop, too, and also recommend having a lobster roll at Two Lights, great scenery, nice way to top off some awesome sightseeing! :)

Edited: 9:09 pm, June 23, 2013
5. Re: Nature in Portland area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 25, 2014