We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in Portland ME area in one full day in June

Columbia
3 posts
Save Topic
What to see in Portland ME area in one full day in June

First trip to Maine but will only be there 1 1/2 days so sticking with the southwestern area (Portland...). I'm interested in seeing historic areas, a lighthouse or two, the ocean, & would really love to see a whale even taking a boat ride if needed. I like to eat at locally owned, non-chain, places & hope to try lobster for the 1st time! Any suggestions? My friend & I are in our 50-60s.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
911 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see in Portland ME area in one full day in June

Visit Portland Head Light at Fort Williams State Park on Cape Elizabeth. It's beautiful and there are lovely places to walk that give you different views of the ocean. Up a little further on Cape Elizabeth is the Lobster Shack at Two Lights. It has lobster, lobster rolls and an assortment of other things to eat. You cannot beat the location. It is right on the ocean with loads of picnic tables outside. It's a beautiful spot any time but especially when the waves are high. Two Lights State Park is close by as well. It's a beautiful park on the ocean with very different types of rock formations. They look like large pieces of wood vs rock. The Old Port section of Portland is a lovely place to walk as is the Eastern Promenade which goes along the waterfront. You can also go south of Portland down to see Nubble Light out on Cape Neddick in York. It's a beautiful lighthouse. Fox's Lobster House is there and we've always had a good meal. You can eat and have a great view of the lighthouse and the ocean. Right up the street is Brown's Ice Cream which is a must stop for us.

Columbia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see in Portland ME area in one full day in June

Thank you so much. I am really excited about seeing Maine, even if it is only a small part of it. Hopefully I can go back someday to see the rest.

3. Re: What to see in Portland ME area in one full day in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 03, 2014