We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping

My husband and I are thinking of heading to Maine for some Christmas shopping. Someone told us to stay in Portland because Freeport was just down the road and we could hit Augusta and Bangor on our way back to NB.

Is this a good idea and there is a good place to stay for one night in Portland for around $100? We're not too picky but like to stay in a mid range type of hotel.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping

Seems like it would make more sense to stay right in Freeport. The motels and B&Bs in Freeport would be cheaper than Portland.

Maine
Level Contributor
888 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping

I agree, no need to stay in Portland if you will be doing your shopping in Freeport. If you also wanted to include the Maine Mall area in your shopping plans, then there are a bunch of hotels right by the mall that are cheaper than downtown Portland.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping

Have stayed at both the Hampton Inn in South Portland ME (just across a very large parking lot from the Maine Mall) and the Hampton Inn in Freeport (a short jaunt - but probably not walking distance) down the road from the downtown Freeport shopping area) in recent years. Both should be near the price-point you're looking for...

As already noted, if you want to include the Maine Mall in South Portland (you can Google it for a list of stores), staying in South Portland will be less expensive and closer to your shopping than staying in Portland.... and if you're not including the Maine Mall, Freeport is a shorter trip (more time for shopping!!) with some good places to stay and restaurants (although not as wide a choice as in South Portland)....

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping

Thank you all for your tips!

5. Re: Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, December 16, 2013