We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposing in Portland

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
J P
Taunton...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Proposing in Portland

I am planning to pop the question on a weekend get away to Portland during the weekend of Dec 14-15-16 (to see the parade of lights) We have visited Portland a couple times before(during the summer), and have kept it pretty casual. The trip is not a surprise, but the prosal, nice hotel and restaurant will be. Does anone have personal recommendations for a place to stay and to eat? I have been reading reviews and so far I am leaning towards the Harbor Hotel or Pomegranite Inn for lodging. For restaurants, I have a list of about 10 possibilities at the moment. I'm look for romantic, but not so formal that I'd feel uncomfortable without a jacket.

I'd like to ask the question in a surprise location before dinner that is very memorable, possibly the mansion if it is not too crowded and I can pull her to the side in a quiet room. If it is warm enough, maybe outside near the water.

Thanks for any advice!

~J

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
24 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposing in Portland

Okay. I think Bresca, Hugo's and maybe even Walter's would be good restaurants to consider. Most people love Fore Street but I don't. The Portland Harbor Hotel is a great place to stay. How about this? 1. Take a cab to The Blue Spoon on Munjoy Hill, a great little spot with excellent food and very reasonable. Walk just down the hill to the Eastern Promenade and over to the gazebo at Fort Ethan Allen overlooking the harbor to do the deed and walk back along the Eastern Prom Trail right along the water. 2. The Casco Bay Ferry to Peak's Island. 3. The Narrow Gauge Railroad around The Prom and do it when the train turns around to go back. 3. Walk out on the Maine State Pier. 4. A cozy corner in the Portland Museum of Art (the cafe is downstairs). 5. The horse and buggy ride operating during the holiday season around the Old Port area. 6. Have a drink or even dinner at Grace, a former church, and do it there. 7. The Chocolate Bar on Wharf Street while having dessert. Everything here is in or near The Old Port and walkable. Disclosure: I proposed at McD's!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposing in Portland

I'm one of those people who loves Fore Street. But even I don't think it's a romantic place to eat. It's noisy and crowded. It's the wonderful food that people go there for.

I'd stay at a suite at the Portland Regency. Somewhat better located than the Portland Habor Hotel, very service-oriented with prompt valet parking, beautiful rooms, great lounge in basement, and a lovely restaurant right off the lobby for a good breakfast.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,236 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposing in Portland

I love Fore St as well, food is delicious, but it is buzzy and loud, not quiet. For lunch, go to Duckfat for seriously good fries with dipping sauces, as well as soups and sandwiches. I like the location of the Portland Regency, but be aware that many of the rooms don't have windows, just skylights. The waterfront in the Old Port is a working waterfront, and not really pretty or romantic, so I don't know if I would want to be proposed to there. I really like Beachseeker's idea of the horse and carriage ride, that would be memorable!

J P
Taunton...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposing in Portland

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! Of the four restaurants, Walter's looks to be the best place for our tastes. I like the carriage ride idea the best, followed by the eastern promenade, but I will probably need a back up plan in case the weather is poor and I need an indoor location.

The Regency sounds like a good spot, especially with the attached lounge and restaurant. I'll inquire about getting a room with windows when I make the reservation.

I'm planning on spending two nights, so the second day maybe we will try Fore st. and the chocolate bar after the festival of lights parade on the Saturday.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposing in Portland

Update on the Portland Regency: they totally remodeled the top floor in the last two years. Now, instead of skylights, those rooms have balconies. We stayed in one last night for the first time. It was awesome! They even had a video going in the lobby that showed the construction. It was quite an undertaking and very, very well done. You can see pictures here:

www.theregency.com/photo-gallery/index.cfm

Portland, Me.
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposing in Portland

JP-

A suggestion for an alternate indoor location if it rains- maybe the Portland Musuem of Art?

7. Re: Proposing in Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, November 21, 2013