We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this Doable?

California
Level Contributor
445 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is this Doable?

Hi Everyone...we will be visiting Portland at the end of September from 8 am to 6 pm on a cruise ship. In my reading, I think I would like to do the 10 am mail boat ferry ride on Casco Bay Lines to Peaks Island. I'm not sure where you pick up this ferry from where the cruise ship docks...if it will be convenient? Also, I would also like to see the Victoria House. What would be the cheapest way to get there and is it close to the ship dock? Do you think we could fit all this in? Any other suggestions would be welcome also. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Casco Bay Lines
Casco Bay Lines
477 Reviews
Portland, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this Doable?

Casco Bay Lines dock is virtually "next door" to the cruise ship terminal on the Portland waterfront..... very short, easy walk from one to the other. Victoria Mansion, on the other hand, isn't really within walking distance -- best bet would probably be a cab after you get back from Peaks. Depending on how long you stay on Peaks, doing both in the same day shouldn't be a problem.

Ooops -- think I just spotted a potential issue bearing further investigation.....according to the Casco Bay Lines website, the 10:00AM Mailboat Run does not include Peaks Island.... goes to Little Diamond, Great Diamond, Long, Cliff and Chebeague Islands in a big loop that apparently does not include Peaks Island. Peaks is served by its own run, which runs more often than the Mailboat Run.... Either way, you should have time to get to Victoria Mansion -- the Mailboat run that leaves at 10:00 is scheduled to be back in Portland at 1:00... and the Mansion is open until 4:00 Mon-Sat and until 5:00 on Sunday with tours starting at quarter-til and quarter-after the hour....

Mentioned in this post
Casco Bay Lines
Casco Bay Lines
477 Reviews
Portland, ME
Victoria Mansion
Victoria Mansion
592 Reviews
Portland, ME
California
Level Contributor
445 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this Doable?

Thank you for the response Mainer and great info! That should be ok....I'm sure the boat ride would be beautiful even if it doesn't go to Peaks Island. Any idea of the cost of the mail ride and how much to get into the mansion? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
445 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this Doable?

Sorry Mainer but I was able to find the cost for the mail boat and it also stated the times as from 10 am to 2:45 pm. Another option is the Diamond Pass Run. It is 1 hr 45 min and goes at 11 am. Have you done either one of these and which one do you think would be better?

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this Doable?

I think you misread the mailboat run times information. The trip lasts 3 hours. It leaves at 10:00 and again at 2:45:

cascobaylines.com/cruises/scenic_cruises.htm

California
Level Contributor
445 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this Doable?

Oh, ok. Thanks for pointing that out CB48!

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
24 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this Doable?

After being on a cruise, are you sure you want to spend most of the day on the mailboat? Suggest you take the 20 minute Peaks Island run instead, rent a bike and ride around the island. Or, take the Lucky Catch Lobster Boat for a 2 hour tour around the harbor. It's a fun way to get on the water and learn about the business of lobsterin'. Or, take the Duck Tour of the city and a great view of the waterfront (Suggest you get advance reservations for either of these if you're on a big cruise ship). Victoria House on the corner of Park and Danforth is walkable from the ferry terminal but it's not close and uphill. Suggest you take a cab there and maybe walk back.

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
445 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this Doable?

You do bring up good points BeachSeeker and thank you so much for the suggestions. How far would you say the Victoria House is from the ferry terminal as I do like to walk. Also, is bike riding nice to do on Peak's Island. Would this be doable in the time frame that we have? The Lobster tour would be interesting too. Hmmm....decisions, decisions......

Maine
Level Contributor
875 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this Doable?

I would have a couple of things in mind, then wait and see what the weather is that day. I see you're from CA and might not be expecting the roller coaster weather here in Maine!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this Doable?

Cruise ship terminal to Victoria Mansion will be about a mile.... some of it up a fairly steep hill.... whether or not it's "walkable" probably depends on ones conditioning and the weather....

Mentioned in this post
Victoria Mansion
Victoria Mansion
592 Reviews
Portland, ME
California
Level Contributor
445 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this Doable?

Hi everyone and thanks for the comments. Has anyone been to Peak's Island in late September? Is this worth a visit over doing other things in the Portland area? I know everyone's preferences are different but pros & cons and why are always beneficial information for consideration. Thank you so much!