We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

never been to Maine so what to not miss?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amarillo, Texas
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
never been to Maine so what to not miss?

Flying into Manchester NH and driving into Maine. Where should we go and not miss. 2 days max and then back west to see other stuff. Would love to stay the first night on the ocean if possible. 2 adults in 40s and no kids with us. Love everything and want to eat Maine lobster of course.

Thanks

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: never been to Maine so what to not miss?

With just two days, if you want time to "experience" Maine and not just see it through a car windshield, I'd focus my search on Portland and/or places south of there.... Popular "on the ocean" destinations in that part of the state include Kennebunkport, Ogunquit and York.... or maybe one night at one of those destinations and the other in Portland (great small city with great re-developed Old Port area and a "foodie" heaven. I'd try Googling those destinations, see if any of them strike your interest, and then come back with more specific questions so we can help you refine your trip.

You don't say when you're coming, but at the height of the summer season, many hotels/motels in that area require multiple-night stays, so the sooner you pick a destination and make your reservation, the more likely you are to find a stay to your liking...

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: never been to Maine so what to not miss?

With two days max, you're going to miss a lot of Maine. Acadia National Park is one of the biggest draws in Maine. But that's a four and a half hour drive from Manchester. Maine is a big state. Perhaps you could stay at Inn By the Sea in Cape Elizabeth. From there it's an easy drive to both the beach towns that MainerOnTheGo mentioned and to the Old Port of Portland. Plus you'll have a nice view from your room:

http://www.innbythesea.com/

Nearby is a lobster shack, also with a great view:

http://lobstershacktwolights.com/

or you could stay right in the Old Port section of Portland and be in walking distance to many great restaurants:

http://theregency.com/

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: never been to Maine so what to not miss?

I agree with the others. If you have only two days, Portland would be a great base. You can try a drive up (or down) Route 1, which is usually pretty and interesting, but it depends when you'll be traveling. Up Route 1 to Wiscasset is Red's Eats, which has great lobster rolls. If you're looking for a cooked lobster dinner, I would suggest many of the restaurants in Portland. On a weekend, you should make a reservation. DiMillo's is good for first timers. Not the BEST restaurant, but it's pretty cool to eat on a boat. Also, it's very close to some of the hotels in Portland, like The Regency and Portland Harbor Hotel, both which are fairly nice. If you want to walk around, I would suggest the path that goes from the end of Commercial Street east to the East End Beach. It's pretty if the weather is good. Otherwise, I would recommend the beaches in Cape Elizabeth or Scarborough, since they are close to Portland. If you put a few more specifics about when you're traveling and your interests, I'm sure we can give more details.

Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
355 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: never been to Maine so what to not miss?

With such little time I would hit ogunquit and Kennebunkport, both close and beautiful towns. Id drive through York and goto the lighthouse there as well. Goto beach plum lobster farm in ogunquit. No frills just lobster and steamers with butter on a picnic benchs.

5. Re: never been to Maine so what to not miss?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:40 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Portland