We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College tour w/son

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
College tour w/son

Hi- I just booked a trip to Maine to see Bowdoin, Bates, & Colby on Oct. 12-15. I know we'll be busy seeing the colleges, but is there any great restaurants (lobster) or things to see around that area. I think we'll be hitting the leaves right on time. We're so very excited, and not looking to spend heaps of money. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Maine
Level Contributor
747 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College tour w/son

Assuming your will be driving from Portland Jetport, you may want to stop in to Portland's Old Port Area for great restaurants and all the lobster you can devour. I travel to all three schools during the winter often, you can also get to Freeport quickly from Bowdoin where there are good restaurants as well.Brunswick is a nice little town and Bowdoin Campus is very, very nice.

Colby is farther north and in my opinion does not offer as many restaurants and less to see. Great campus, great school but less of a college town than Bowdoin.

Bates is in Lewiston, the school is great but the town....not my choice to site see or dine.

If you stay in Brunswick or Freeport...Bates and Bowdoin are easy to get

to as is Waterville and Colby is close to the highway. This will allow to see all the colleges and also be able to sight see and eat at good restaurants and shop at L.L. Bean. Congrats to you, you must have done a lot of things right in order for your son to get into any of these great schools. Enjoy your trip and send me a message if you need anything else....

Mentioned in this post
Old Port
Old Port
973 Reviews
Portland, ME
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College tour w/son

Thanks so much! Any restaurants you recommend in Portland for lobster, reasonably priced? Looks like we'll stay near Bowdoin the first night due to an early morning appointment there, and we'll be on west coast time. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Level Contributor
747 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: College tour w/son

Portland Lobster Company on Commercial Street. Right on the water. In Freeport at the Harraseeket Inn is the Broad Arrow Tavenrn...a bit pricy but really good.

Mentioned in this post
Commercial Street
Commercial Street
534 Reviews
Portland, ME
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: College tour w/son

Great, that's very helpful, thanks so much! Good for our first night.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: College tour w/son

Sounds like you're staying in Brunswick the night of the 12th, with an appointment at Bowdoin the morning of the 13th? What's the schedule for your being at Bates and Colby....may be able to help you with sightseeing or non-Interstate routes that will give you a better chance at seeing foliage along the way between appointments.....and think of a few more good places to eat as well....but knowing how much time you have between places would help give better advice...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: College tour w/son

At this point, it looks like Bates on Friday and Colby Saturday, then heading to the airport after Colby for a 6:45 flight back home. Looks like the tours and interviews are morning to early afternoon. Still trying to work out the details, but we have to wait for the colleges to open on Monday to check in for setting up appointments. Having non interstate routes would be terrific, that's a brilliant idea! It's looking like one college a day, then having the later afternoon free. Thanks so much for your input.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: College tour w/son

None of the distances you're talking about are all that long -- definitely driveable from one single location unless you prefer to pack-and-uppack each day. Guess I'd agree with MaineMan that using Brunswick as a central location would be my preference.... I lived in Waterville for several years and it's okay....not a big fan of Lewiston.... Don't get me wrong, all three schools are great colleges and would be a good place for your son...just thinking about the three towns/cities in terms of things for first-timers to see, do and places to eat. Brunswick would be my choice...

From there to Lewiston (the day you go to Bates), your best bet will be Rt 196 from Brunswick and Topsham (right across the river from Brunswick) through Lisbon Falls and Lisbon. If the weather is good and you want to take a foliage ride after visiting Bates, I'd suggest

Rt 4 north from Lewiston-Auburn to Livermore

Rt 108 north from Livermore to Mexico-Rumford

US Rt 2 west to Bethel

Rt 27 south to South Paris

Rt 119 south to Minot

Rt 11 back to Auburn, and

Rt 196 back to Brunswick...... will give you a nice look at part of western Central Maine and the eastern edges of the Western Maine mountains....should be some decent foliage somewhere along the way....

About 140 miles and three and a half hours of driving time....

If you don't want to go quite that far, try Rt 4 north from Auburn to Turner, Rt 117 west (over Streaked Mountain -- nice views) to South Paris, then Rt 119 south to Minot and Rt 11 back to Auburn, then Rt 196 back to Brunswick.

About 70 miles and two hours driving time...

Depending on the timing of your Colby visit, you may want'/need to take I-295 from Brunswick to I-95 in Gardiner and I-95 north to Waterville... then I-95 or I-295 back to Portland.... But if you have a little extra time going or coming, consider US Rt 201 from Topsham to Gardiner, or US 201 from Augusta to Winslow (or either section in the opposite direction) as alternatives to the interstate. Won't add more than half an hour to your travel time (per section), but will give you a non-Interstate view of the area. Avoid the section of US 201 between Gardiner and Augusta -- a major highway reconstruction project has really tied up traffic there most of the summer.

As you get your on-campus times pinned down, if you decide to change where you're staying overnight(s), let us know and we'll see what other routes we can suggest so you can see some of the "real" Maine outside Lewiston, Waterville and Brunswick....

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: College tour w/son

Thanks so much! I should have my schedule down tomorrow and I'll let you know. You've been wonderful! I know if someone came to Los Angeles, and just stayed on the freeway, what a waste when the can take the coast and see the ocean! So excited! That's also useful info about maybe just staying in Brunswick. HMMMM?

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: College tour w/son

While Lewiston may not be the most lovely city ever, it does have some good places to eat and is really looking to revitalize its downtown. A couple of suggestions in Lewiston:

http://www.fishbonesag.com/

www.davinciseatery.com/ordereze/default.aspx

Here's a pretty complete list for the area:

laitshappeninghere.com/newsite/…

When I travel between Auburn and Brunswick, I usually take the River Road.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: College tour w/son

CB -- Did not suggest River Road because I figured Rt 196 would be easier to follow for someone unfamiliar with the area... especially on the Lisbon end... Thought it wiser to stick to a numbered, well-signed route....

Would agree with Davinci's as a great place to eat in Lewiston -- presuming one likes good Italian cuisine -- setting is in a restored mill -- interesting architecture. For steaks, we like Mac's Grill on Minot Ave (Rt 11) in Auburn... it's on the small-ish side and nothing fancy, but food is good and prices reasonable for what you get....