We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Maine / New Hampshire

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in Maine / New Hampshire

I will be making my first visit to Maine / New Hampshire in a couple of weeks and welcome suggestions on things to see and do. I definitely want to see the Portsmouth, Kennebunkport areas, but would also like to also venture into New Hampshire. Primarily, I am interested in good hiking locations in either state. Additionally, I would like to see a few covered bridges and the like that are indicative of the region. I am prepared to do some extensive driving and would appreciate any suggestions of "must see", "must do" activities.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
boston, MA
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Maine / New Hampshire

A Must see/do in New Hampshire is driving throught the Kancamangus Highway from Conway to Lincoln. There are many hiking trails on the Kancamangus. I would then head up through Franconia Notch, then east on 3, then south on 302 to end up where you started.

My number 1 suggestion for hiking would be Tuckerman Ravine trail up Mt. Washington. (you may even see a little snow on Mt. Washinton). This trail starts at the Pinkham Notch Camp on Route 16 just south of the auto road. If you would be more interested in hiking to a waterfall instead I would recommend the Arethusa Falls (spectacular 150 ft falls) located in Crawford Notch on 302.

Mentioned in this post
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Conway
Conway
White Mountains, NH
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Franconia Notch
Franconia Notch
90 Reviews
Franconia, NH
Mount Washington
Mount Washington
White Mountains, NH
Arethusa Falls
Arethusa Falls
108 Reviews
New Hampshire
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Maine / New Hampshire

I would add to the list a drive up the coast to Bar Harbor... in particular Acadia National Park.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Maine / New Hampshire

Are you flying in? Landing where? If you land in Manchester, I'd suggest q quick trip up Rte 93 to No. Woodstock and then a cross over on the Kancamagus highway- unbeatable scenery, with many interesting brief walks along the way (most notable: Sabaday Falls, Covered Bridge). Hopefully your traveling mid-week, although most of our leaf-peppers should be gone by then. At the eastern end of the Kanc head north on Rte 16 thourgh North Conway (outlet shopping galore). In the village proper, you'll find good restaurants, a pretty village green and some unique shops. Check out Zeb's Country store for all New England products.

Continue up Rt1 16 where it bears right in Glen, and into Jackson. Here you wil find the requisite covered bridge and picture perfect town yo go with it. Jackson offers, golfing, cros country skiing, down hill skiing, hiking, etc. Great choices here for lodging, country inns, and B&Bs.

Just up the road is Pinkham Notch on the eastern slope of Mt. Washington. A visit to the AMC Lodge is always interesting. They have a plethora of information about the mountain, weather conditions at the top, various hikes long & short.

If you venture further north in Gorham, you'll find a great hiker's town and a popular stop on the Appalachian Trail.. Great place to resupply if you are doing and hiking/camping.

From here head east on Rte 2. Check out a good map - highly recomend Delorme Atlas and Gazeteer (There's one for Maine and for New Hampshire.) You have the option of staying on Rte 2, or dropping down one on the winding mountain roads (Rte 113 for more mountain scenery - Rte 5 for quaint villages with the mountains as backdrop.) that will bring you back to Rt2 302, for a quick trip into Portalnd and down to Kenebunkport, etc

Hope you have a great trip - if you want any ,or details let us know.

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Kancamagus Highway
Kancamagus Highway
2,910 Reviews
North Conway, NH
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
New England
New England
United States
Jackson
Jackson
White Mountains, NH
Mount Washington
Mount Washington
White Mountains, NH
Gorham
Gorham
White Mountains, NH
Maine
Maine
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Maine / New Hampshire

Many thanks to each of you offering suggestions on my weekend in Maine / New Hampshire! I would be clueless without your advice and guidance. Thanks, again!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States