We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach near portland for small children?

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach near portland for small children?

My family and I would like to visit the Portland area this August and pref stay close to a beach. We will be traveling with our 18 month old daughter. We are considering Peaks Island, however I understand it doesn't have much of a beach. Any suggestions of areas to stay near Portland that won't be too crowded?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Peaks Island
Peaks Island
117 Reviews
Maine
Maine
Level Contributor
893 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach near portland for small children?

Not sure what your budget is but the Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth is lovely and Crescent Beach gives you plenty of room to spread out.

Mentioned in this post
Inn by the Sea
Inn by the Sea
1,153 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach near portland for small children?

Hi Jvllebean,

I would highly recommend Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth which is about 10 minutes or so from downtown Portland. I've stayed there a few years back and was not disappointed. In fact I didn't want to leave. Could have packed my bags and moved in forever :).

Anyway, Inn by the Sea is a lovely, modern and upscale inn located on gorgeous grounds and Crescent Beach. They offer rooms, suites and cottages, many with beautiful views of the beach/ocean and every amenity you could possibly think of. There is a pool, spa and wonderful restaurant and also a bar and lounge area. The restaurant is pretty high end and you may not feel comfortable dining there w/an 18 month old but if you have one of the suites or cottages, you could cook your own meals, etc. or drive the 10 minutes or so into Portland.

Its also a very short drive to Portland HeadLight and the Lobster Shack at Two Lights. Portland Headlight is a must see as it is one of the quintessential lighthouses of Maine that sits high on a rocky bluff w/spectacular views. There is also a large, grassy area that is great for families, kite flying, and picnicing.

The Lobster Shack is a lobster in the rough sort of place that also offers chowder, fried clams, etc, and it too sits high on a bluff overlooking the ocean and is only minutes from Inn by the Sea.

Check out www.innbythesea.com for further info on Inn by the Sea and www.lobstershacktwolights.com for the Lobster Shack. Both sites provide plenty of info, pics, etc.

I'd say if you want to stay close to Portland and want to be on the beach, then Inn by the Sea would be perfect.

Good luck planning your trip and let us know what you decide and how it turns out :).

cozyharbor

Mentioned in this post
Inn by the Sea
Inn by the Sea
1,153 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Lobster Shack
Lobster Shack
906 Reviews
Ogunquit, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach near portland for small children?

Inn by the Sea is everything it's cracked up to be, and is currently undergoing a major renovation (a mess right now, but they're be done by summer.) The pictures on their website are a very accurate representation of the grounds, etc.

If you'd like to further explore staying on an island, Long Island (one island out further than Peaks) has gorgeous, sandy beaches. You can find cottage rentals there at vrbo.com. There's one B&B (Chestnut Hill Inn), but they're small-child-free. Very laid back, few people (200 year-round residents), limited services on Long, but it's such a fabulous place for rejuvenation of the soul!

Also, on Great Diamond Island, a renovated fort. They have several smaller beaches. Very upscale: http://www.greatdiamondrentals.com/

Mentioned in this post
Inn by the Sea
Inn by the Sea
1,153 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
4. Re: Best beach near portland for small children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, September 23, 2009