We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Big 50 in New England, but where??

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
130 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
The Big 50 in New England, but where??

Hi All; My husband wants to take me to New England for Fall Colors for my 50th...(Aug 13th, uggh)and we aren't sure where to hit, since we have never been and want to see the area and experience as much as possible. The time of year is open for debate, all though we have wanted to get out that way for fall colors for years, I am sure anytime of the year is beautiful. So far he has looked into Bar Harbor, pricey but beautiful coastal area, which is a plus, we love lobster! The other area we looked into was through InnSeason Resorts, ME, NH, and MA..so, not sure which area we should go. Portland seems to be the best airfare terminal, and there sounds like lots to do in Portland, so HELP..suggestions are wonderful, and we like a diverse vacation, outdoors, lighthouses, good food, and nightlife/music.

Biddeford, Maine
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Big 50 in New England, but where??

there is lots in portland. Fall colors will be in October most likely. ANywhere will be awesome, but you should get on the web to check estimated peak times in the areas you consider. You can find lobster anywhere on the coast. Villages up the coast are very unique, beautiful... Boothbay, Bar Harbor, Camden, Portland... southern areas are also nice, lots of high end stuff in Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, etc. Depends on what you like to do...

Lighthouses in Portland, good food everywhere... its the only city in the state that can really be called a city and even then its debatable...no nightlife in most small villages... limited even in Portland. But if you travel enough in the day with climbing rocks and things you are ready for bed by 9 anyway! The ACTION is only in summer with the tourists. But a romantic time in the beautiful seacoast is great in October... and its cold in October... already frost at night.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Big 50 in New England, but where??

If you must select one of the InnSeason Resorts properties, insofar as Maine is concerned:

The fall foliage can be really nice around Jackman, but that's a very isolated/rustic area (hence the log cabin theme) and I just don't see it fitting your list of wants. Hunting, fishing, snowmobiling are the top activities in this area.

Ogunquit, on the coast, has good food, a very nice beach, shopping, antiquing and several nice lighthouses within driving distance, but it's not typically considered a destination for fall foliage tours. Ogunquit can get very crowded in July-August, so if you can visit before the Fourth of July or after Labor Day you'll find it much less crowded.

If I were going to Ogunquit for the Big 5-0, I'd want to be in sight of the water. I'm afraid the InnSeason property is out on Route 1 not even in walking distance of downtown.

I'd say go for the Fall Colors and pick your overnight spots (in ME, NH and VT) according to where you'll find the best colors. Camden and Acadia are good foliage destinations in Maine, and Portland has the lighthouses, food and nightlife covered.

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Big 50 in New England, but where??

The Midcoast area is beautiful in the fall...peak in usually right around Columbus Day (except last fall when it was late). Any of the towns from Brunswick north are fun and beautiful. Boothbay Harbor, Rockland and Camden all have a lot to offer. Can be full of tourists but easy to find isolated true Maine spots in each of these areas. Portland is lovely but it is a city and though smaller than many it offers the things a city does- if you really want to see Maine you need to get out of Portland! If you come to the Midcoast area make sure to drive down the peninsulas to truly see that Maine scenery- fall colors, ocean, pine trees, rocks. Take chances and go down roads even if you aren’t sure where they go. As long as they don’t say private you are all set. You will find amazing views this way as well as access to water via little beaches, etc. that you will not find otherwise. Great sea glass is found this way. Going out Rt. 24 from the Brunswick area gives you all of this…and more. Cook’s Lobster House (was in American Express ads a few years ago) is out at end. Expensive and not my favorite food but the drive and location are to die for…most my out of town guests love it! Enjoy it is a beautiful state and fall takes your breath away.

Louisville, KY USA
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Big 50 in New England, but where??

If you have enough time go for the Trifecta of Portland, Camden, Bar Harbor. Portland is a great small city (I grew up there) with excellent restaurants, nice hotels, very good museums, plus it's pretty. Then drive up Route One stopping in Camden for lunch before getting to Bar Harbor. Stay in the wonderful Bar Harbor Inn and take in the fatures of Acadia Natl Park plus the upscale town of Bar Harbor. A sailing trip on the Margaret Todd, a carriage ride in the park(do not miss this), lunch at the Jordan Pond House, lunch or dinner at either Bar Harbor Inn restaurant--Great food at either.

5. Re: The Big 50 in New England, but where??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 21, 2009