We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland Airport - Dining Recommendations?

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Portland Airport - Dining Recommendations?

Is there a "great" place to eat at the Portland airport? I seem to recall reading someplace that Portland (ME) had a really special restaurant, something unique to the area....is that correct?

If not, what options are available for a late lunch in the PWM airport? Thanks.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland Airport - Dining Recommendations?

The airport is tiny - there's one restaurant with unexceptional food, and a couple kiosks. There's lots of chain places within a couple miles of the airport, but Portland's best, unique dining options are in town, in the Old Port.

www.portlandjetport.org/inside-terminal.asp

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland Airport - Dining Recommendations?

Maineah - Is there a place called the Shipyard? I went on-line to do some research myself and found what I read...it was an article in USA Today that listed the best airport restaurants in the country and the article mentioned the Shipyard at PWM, specifically the lobster roll. Do you have any familiarity with this restaurant? Thanks.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland Airport - Dining Recommendations?

There is a Shipyard "restaurant" in the airport. Shipyard is a locally brewn beer/ale. Their beers are great! To be honest, I haven't had the food at their airport locale. Their restaurant in Kennebunk, Federal Jack's is uneven: sometimes the food is really good and sometimes it really isn't.

As stated in the previous post, there are many chain restaurants in the mall area near the airport, with the more unique restaurants in downtown Portland and the Old Port area.

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland Airport - Dining Recommendations?

Thanks for letting me know about all the other restaurant options.

I'm specifically looking for a place to grab a quick bite after a long flight. I'm due in PWM at 3:30 and am scheduled to meet someone in Freeport in an hour...and have to get my bags, rent my car, etc. I was just thinking it might be quicker to eat right there at airport. I'll be coming back into Portland for a few days and already have dinner reservations for several spots.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland Airport - Dining Recommendations?

If you can wait, and your appointment in Freeport doesn't preclude eating there, I'd wait and eat in Freeport. Azure Cafe, the Mediterranean Cafe, and Jameson Tavern all would surpass what you can find at the airport.

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland Airport - Dining Recommendations?

CW - maybe I could do one of those, just as an alternative to the airport. I'll check them out.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland Airport - Dining Recommendations?

If you have a meeting in Freeport an hour after you land--assuming you land on time--you don't have time for a sit-down meal.

The airport is about 1/2 mile from the mall where there are lots of fast food options. My pick would be Panera Bread (chain) which shouldn't be that crowded at that time of day. Warning: it would help if you printed out mapquest directions to get you to the Panera Bread and back to I-95 and over the Freeport as the roads around the mall can be a bit confusing to first timers to the area.

8. Re: Portland Airport - Dining Recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, September 10, 2009