We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Trip to Maine -- Need Advice

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Short Trip to Maine -- Need Advice

My husband and I just found out last Monday that we'll have a sitter for our two young daughters for next week. So, since I've always been intrigued by Maine, we decided to head there. We'll be flying into Portsmouth, NH on Sunday AM (8/26) and then flying out (same airport) that Friday evening; therefore, have roughly 5-6 days to see everything.

I'm very much an explorer and though I would prefer to sleep in when I'm home, I love getting up early to see all I can when vacationing. My husband on the other hand is not much of an explorer and a vacation to him MUST have some relaxation (of course I enjoy some of that too...as long as I'm outside and seeing something while doing it; and my idea of relaxing is a little more 'energetic' than his)!!!! So..need a mix of both to keep us both happy.

Obviously, I don't have as much time to prepare and research for this trip as I normally do, so need some advice from all of you experts!! Since we can't (really) get into the water, I'd say the beach is not really appealing (at least just sitting on -- 'laying out' -- but walks and other explorations on beaches are good). Therefore, I THINK we've decided to not go to the beach areas south of Portland, but would like any feedback on that.

I'm thinking of 1-1.5 days in Portland to see the Old Port area and the lighthouses (and perhaps a ferry trip). Then heading to Camden for another 1-1.5 days. Then to Bar Harbor for the remainder of the trip. We enjoy hiking and exploring outside areas. Also, considering doing this in the reverse order to be closer to Portsmouth at the end, vs. driving all the way back from B/H the last day before flying out since I think it's about 4-5 hours??

For food -- We both love Microbrews (the hoppier the better for me!!) but only one of us likes seafood, so thoughts on eating establishments w/b helpful.

For accomodations -- we both really like B&Bs and Inns (so we can talk to other residents and travelers0, although checking on the web it looks like the prices are fairly high this time of year. We try to stay at places under $200/night (more in the $150 range would be preferable)! We'd prefer places that servce a full-breakfast (vs. continental-style) and clean rooms (and not too noisy from the outside, etc). I've looked at a few of the B&Bs from other posts, but several of those are not available. Also, in Portland, any feedback on the Holiday Inn at/on the Bay??

I'm a little panicked right now given my limited time for research so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Trip to Maine -- Need Advice

I'll fill you in on the beer places and the others can give you the rest.

Starting in Portsmouth when you land the Redhook brewery is on the airport grounds, literally a couple minutes away.

For the microbrews there are several in the old port and the Great Lost Bear has a good selection as well.

Here is a link to a couple useful sites:

http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/15/

…mainetoday.com/todo/tastes/beerlist.shtml

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Trip to Maine -- Need Advice

Portland and the area is definitely worth at least 1-1.5 days. A ferry is a great idea, great way to see the harbor and if you take the "mail run" you can get off and explore on of the islands and just get back on during the next mail run (check the schedules), and bring a light jacket or sweater, it's cool on the water even in August!

Remember to check out Freeport and LL Bean. LL Bean is my favorite store of all time. I grew up in the Portland area but now live in SC. LL Bean is on the itinerary for every visit home.

Camden is gorgeous, highly recommend it also.

I stayed at the Holiday In you referenced once, many years ago, and wasn't impressed. You might want to check out the Morrill Mansion Bed & Breakfast, it's gotten really good reviews on this website.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
896 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Trip to Maine -- Need Advice

I would reverse your trip for a few reasons. If you like hiking and being outdoors you can't beat Acadia up in Bar Harbor. You won't want to leave. There are also a few microbreweries in town that are cool. Although Camden (and the other towns between Bar Harbor and Portland) are really lovely if you only have a week I would go straight to Portland. 1 - 11/2 days in Portland should do it. The Casco Bay cruises are nice plus there are parks (Wolfes Neck in Freeport; 2 Lights State Park and Portland Head Light on Cape Elizabeth) where you can hike, see lighthouses as well as the ocean. There are quite a number of microbreweries in Portland also; I quite like the brown ale at Grittys. Portland is only 15 minutes from Freeport and LL Bean is definately worth a trip; the good thing is they are open 24 hours so you can go late/early or at midnite! Holiday Inn on the Bay is fine; nothing special but if you can get a good rate it's nice to be able to walk around Portland vs having to take a cab or drive in. If you end your trip in Portland you have a quick ride back to the airport; less stress; less worrying about getting back from Bar Harbor with traffic etc. Have fun; you'll love Maine

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Trip to Maine -- Need Advice

Just returned from Maine last week - there is not a lot about Portland that I liked but Bar Harbor is terrific!

The Holiday Inn is fine and there is a very good restaurant next to it - can't remember the name (Fore Street I think) but it's above the Bakery which you can see from the hotel entrance.

Didn't do Camden so can't comment - have a great time!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Trip to Maine -- Need Advice

I agree with MRSOMES. Go direct to Bar Harbor. On the return give yourself 1 nite in Portland. 1 nite in Portsmouth. Of course, by going straight to Bar Harbor you may decide to skip the other stops and stay right there.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Trip to Maine -- Need Advice

Sebago Brewing in South Portlnd has great beer and food! Try their Blueberry ale. Sebago Brewing is located to the right of The Maine Mall, very convenient for people who LOVE to shop. Merry

7. Re: Short Trip to Maine -- Need Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Portland