We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Portland to Bar Harbor

Denville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
From Portland to Bar Harbor

My wife and I and our 14-year-old will be flying into Portland and then driving up to Bar Harbor in late August for one week. We're planning to spend about a day and a half in Portland and the rest of the time in Bar Harbor/Acadia Park. Does that sound like a reasonable allocation of time? Or, should be allow more time in Portland?

Also, can anyone suggest any places we might want to stop during the drive from Portland to Bar Harbor?

Maine
Level Contributor
277 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Portland to Bar Harbor

Need a couple of claifications. Depending on your interests, such as what types of things you would like to see/do, will help us advise.

I would say a day and a half would be plenty of time in Portland.

The quickest route to Acadia will take you 3 hours.

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Portland to Bar Harbor

The amount of time you wish to spend in Portland is really personal preference. I can get my fill of the city in half a day. Then again others could easily spend a few days there.

The drive to BH from Portland can be quick, ~ 3hrs via 95 route or longer using Rte 1. Rte 1 offers many places to stop and explore. The Rte 1 drive can even be a separate trip itself as there are several peninsulas off Rte 1 that are worthy of visiting. If you want to take the Rte 1 route with only using most of a day, I would check out Wiscasset and Camden (and maybe Freeport if you are into shopping or wish to see LL Bean) as they are directly on Rte 1. Do some research on some of the extended areas off Rte 1 like Boothbay, St Georges, Blue Hill and see if you want to drive down and explore one of those areas.

Mentioned in this post
Denville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Portland to Bar Harbor

Thanks for your responses! Appreciate the suggestions.

MrNjorl: In answer to your question: We were just thinking that instead of driving 3 straight hours, we could take a more leisurely drive and perhaps stop somewhere along the way that might interest a 14-year-old boy. We'll have 4 or 5 days in Bar Harbor, so he'll get plenty of shoreline and lobsters. I was just wondering if any of the towns between Portland and Bar Harbor had some attraction that perhaps we shouldn't miss--some unique sight, a great place to rent kayaks, an unusual park, etc.

Maine
Level Contributor
277 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Portland to Bar Harbor

If he is interested in antique vehicles, cars, boats, planes, etc. Visit the Owls Head Transportation Museum. http://www.ohtm.org/

It is near Rockland.

Covington, Louisiana
Level Contributor
83 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Portland to Bar Harbor

I've been reading with interest this posting. My wife and I are flying to Manchester, NH in Sept. driving over to Portland for 1 night, then up to Bar Harbor or somewhere in between, later crossing over to New Hampshire White MT area where we have reservations for 3 nights, then back to Manchester for our flight back home. I hope to do all this in 8 days. Blue HIll and Camden seem to be the best places to stay other than Bar Harbor. If too far, I could forego Bar Harbor. Is Bar Harbor similar to Camden and other mid coast towns only bigger? My 1st time in ME, appreciate any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Portland to Bar Harbor

Luzuna, I think the real reason to go to Bar Harbor as opposed to somewhere else on the Maine coast isn't necessarily the town (although it's certainly nice) but because it's a gateway to Acadia. But if you're not "outdoorsy", then it's a pretty long trek to go all the way out there just to turn around and go to NH.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Portland to Bar Harbor

The previous poster is exactly right. The attraction of Bar Harbor is not so much the village itself but rather the beauty of the island, much of it preserved as Acadia National Park.

Because so many people come to see Acadia, Bar Harbor has more lodging establishments and restaurants than Camden. But the village center isn't really all that much bigger than Camden. In my opinion, Bar Harbor has a nicer exposure to the ocean than Camden does. Camden has a very sheltered harbor which is great for sailing but not so great for paths along the water or good views out to sea. Bar Harbor is the opposite. In a bad storm, the boats scrurry for safer harbor. But we do have a very nice Shore Path to walk and a low tide stroll over to Bar Island. There are also two waterfront parks from which one can sit and watch the lobster boats, sailing vessels, and cruise ships.

So much to do and see. So little time.

Covington, Louisiana
Level Contributor
83 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Portland to Bar Harbor

This is most helpful. Thanks.

Winter Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Portland to Bar Harbor

While in the Portland area or on your way toward Bar Harbor, your son might enjoy a stop to see Eartha, the "World’s Largest Revolving and Rotating Globe" (and browse the map-related inventory in the company store) at the DeLorme map company headquarters in Yarmouth. Our grandsons age 5 and 15 loved it. I loved it!

http://www.delorme.com/about/eartha.aspx

From Portland:

1. Traveling North- or Southbound on the Maine Turnpike/I-95

2. Take Exit 52 [Exit 9 on older maps] for the Falmouth spur to I-295 North.

3. Take Exit 17 off of I-295.

4. DeLorme is immediately on the right, just off the ramp.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Level Contributor
277 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Portland to Bar Harbor

Apart from a couple of small B&B's there aren't any places to stay in Blue Hill. It is a beautiful little arts community if you are interested in that sort of thing. Like Bar Harbor, it is the center of activity for the small and scenic surrounding towns.

If you are going to Acadia, a detour through Blue Hill will only add about 30 minutes to your drive. Stopping of course will add more.