We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland... is that good choice?

ID
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Portland... is that good choice?

Hi

First time on this forum and I have question about relocating. I live in Idaho and I must say it in not me in many ways not just one. I am not happy here so last two years I am thinking about relocating. My top three choices are Maine...Delaware and Rhode Island. More and more I read and research Maine is becoming my top choice. I want to know good and bad you guys can tell me about Portland and Maine. Am i going right diraction or I should look somewhere else.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Rhode Island
Rhode Island
United States
Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland... is that good choice?

Born and raised in Maine and although I love my home state and feel it is a great place to live and raise a family it is not great economically. The state's economy is not great and taxes are always on the rise, the state is constantly trying to come up with new taxes. I do not know what your intentions are as far as work. but there certainly are jobs available in many fields in Southern Maine, anyone who says otherwise, just needs to open up the newspaper and look but you are going to pay alot of your earnings back in taxes.

You may want to consider the Portsmouth, NH area. Very close to Portland and similar in many ways but with way less taxes.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland... is that good choice?

Welcome to TripAdvisor! I could do lots of typing myself, but if you type "relocating" in the "search in this forum" box above, you'll find this question has been posted before. Read through some, and see if it prompts any specific questions. Be sure to read all the way through: some people come on the forum specifically to point out negatives, and you'll want to hear some positives, as well :-)

We'll be back!

For example:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28940-i175-k14306…

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland... is that good choice?

P.S. I just noticed that you posted on the Portland forum, as opposed to Maine. Do that search under Maine, and you'll find more "relocating" topics....

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
ID
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland... is that good choice?

Thank you all for answering.

CountyMounty said:

You may want to consider the Portsmouth, NH area. Very close to Portland and similar in many ways but with way less taxes.

When you say NH all that come to my mind is veeery expencive , but I could be wrong. But then that is all I have to hear everytime I talk to people about East coast in general. My other choice is Rhode Island maybe that will be better choice then since there is no state taxes there.

I am going to visit Maine in next few months to see how I like it, and who knows maybe then I will think differently.

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Rhode Island
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland... is that good choice?

I bet you will like Maine. It is a great place to live in general for sure. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the economy and tax issues here as people generally are concerned with that unless money is not really an issue. It isn't just the state sales tax we are talking about it is all taxes. If you factor in all the types of taxes ME is the highest taxed in the country (or mabye second highest now) and NH is the second lowest. I do not know what people mean by NH is expensive though I have not looked into living there or the general cost of living there but I doubt that is it any more then it is to live in Southern Maine.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland... is that good choice?

Real Estate prices tend to be high in the Northeast. But, out of the three you're considering Maine will probably be the lowest.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,883 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland... is that good choice?

Regarding taxes in Maine, I've read that the statistics that rate Maine as the highest taxed state are really skewed because they simply add up the taxes collected and divide by the population of the state. That doesn't give an accurate picture in Maine because much of the real estate tax is being paid by people who live out-of-state and own luxury estates in Maine.

In any case, perhaps we could help you more, Eset, if you gave us some idea of what you are looking for in relocating? Are you interested in a safe place to raise a family? Maine is certainly that. Are you interested in a liberal state with generous social programs and opportunities? I believe Maine is also that. Are you interested in small towns with close-knit communities and lots of outdoor recreation? That's true here too.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
ID
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland... is that good choice?

I am looking for new start and from so many places to choose I must say it is very hard. I don't have any family in US so I am in position I can move where ever I want without strings attached. Only "family " I have is my childs father who lives in Seattle(nice to visit but I did not like it enough to move there)...my Childs grandfather who lives in Naples Florida (expensive ) and my child's aunt who lives in LA( don't think my kind of place). I don't want live in big city and yes I am looking for nice place to raise my child. I live in Idaho last 6 years and it is time for me to move on. Just not my kind of state...it is beautiful and all but I am water kind of girl desert is just to much for me. What ever I read about Maine sounds like place I am looking for. I know it is big and scary step I am going to make and I will make few trips to Maine before I am completely sure.

Thank you all for your answers.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Maine
Maine
United States
ID
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland... is that good choice?

BTW...lets talk weather. How humid it gets in summer? Is it bad like NY ? And how about snow in winter? Are we talking feet of snow? :)

Thanks.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Portland... is that good choice?

It can get humid at times for sure and it can occasionally snow a foot or more but really bad lasting humidity and/or really large storms are not the norm at least not lately. We certainly do not get as much snow as the places that get the lake effect snow. It is fairly common to get a half dozen storms with several inches of snow and an occasional foot plus storm but of course some winters we get very little snow.

The closer to the ocean you live the more comfortable it will be on those few really hot humid July, August days.