We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland for the food scene w/ kids for 1 day

Bowling Green, Ohio
Level Contributor
170 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Portland for the food scene w/ kids for 1 day

Hello,

We (two adults and 3 kids ages 5, 9, and 10) are heading to the White Mountains, then Baxter, Acadia, L.L. Bean and of course have to check out the food scene in Portland! We'll likely be in Portland August 10th leaving the 11th. I'm thinking that will be enough time for some good lobster and a doughnut. Suggestions on food welcomed. We are camping the entire trip but, I am considering a hotel in Portland for our last night of travel before we head home. Can someone suggest a hotel that doesn't cost $400? I was assuming I could find something between $150-$200 but that wasn't the case with my internet search.....

The other thought was to camp just outside of Portland on the south side. So, if anyone has a cabin or campground suggestion that would be great too.

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
9 replies to this topic
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland for the food scene w/ kids for 1 day

Hotels in the Old Port are $$$. Look at the lesser priced hotels around the airport on the outskirts of the city. Short drive in.

Mentioned in this post
Old Port
Old Port
1,031 Reviews
Portland, ME
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland for the food scene w/ kids for 1 day

You certainly don't need to detour to Portland just for lobster and a doughnut Spend another night near Acadia, or if you're driving back to Kentucky....get some more miles behind you that day.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bowling Green, Ohio
Level Contributor
170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland for the food scene w/ kids for 1 day

Thank you both!

Actually, it's Bowling Green Ohio. (Go Falcons!)

I just really really want to see Portland. Maybe it's not worth it?

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Baltimore...
Level Contributor
236 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland for the food scene w/ kids for 1 day

My son is 12 so just a little bit older. We booked 3 nights in Portland (but we did not arrive until 10 pm on the first nigh), 1 night in Boothbay Harbor and 3 nights in Bar Harbor. We had a nice time in Bar Harbor but if we had to do it again, I probably would have booked one less night in Portland.

My son liked Kayaking and Sailing in the harbor, and I would have liked to a lot more time for the Portland Head Light; there is a nice park there. We used our second full day to drive out to Harpswell and check out the maritime musuem and then we drove back to Portland light and stayed in Portland. We should have gone to Portland Head light first, skipped Harpswell and stayed farther up the coast.

My 12 year old is not into "food scene" but we did really enjoy the lobster rolls from Bite into Maine and the Portland head light (they also make a nice grilled cheese sandwhich for $2.75) and the panini from Duck Fat (although none of us thought that the fries were worth the hype). Duck Fat is small and crowded, so we took it to go and head a nice picnic overlooking the harbor on the promenade.

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Portland Head Light
Portland Head Light
1,890 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Bite into Maine
Bite into Maine
393 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Baltimore...
Level Contributor
236 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland for the food scene w/ kids for 1 day

I forgot to mention: We also picked up the well reviewed Holy Donut and thought that my grandmothers potato donuts were better (but they do have a lot o flavors, which grandma did not do).

Mentioned in this post
The Holy Donut
The Holy Donut
1,710 Reviews
Portland, ME
Bowling Green, Ohio
Level Contributor
170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland for the food scene w/ kids for 1 day

Thank you for the tips!!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,226 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland for the food scene w/ kids for 1 day

There are numerous less expensive hotels in the Maine Mall/Portland Jetport area. It's really only a fifteen minute drive into the Old Port, but expect to pay for parking in the Old Port.

Mentioned in this post
Maine Mall
Maine Mall
92 Reviews
South Portland, ME
Old Port
Old Port
1,031 Reviews
Portland, ME
Brigantine, New...
Level Contributor
687 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland for the food scene w/ kids for 1 day

This place is great you and your kids would like it http://bayleysresort.com/

And I agree about spending some time exploring Fort Williams Park when visiting the Portland Head Light and if you see that food truck grab some lobster rolls! https://portlandheadlight.com/

The campground is also just 3 1/2 miles to Old Orchard Beach I think your kids would enjoy a visit there as well.

https:/…old-orchard-beach

Mentioned in this post
Fort Williams Park
Fort Williams Park
515 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Portland Head Light
Portland Head Light
1,890 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Bowling Green, Ohio
Level Contributor
170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland for the food scene w/ kids for 1 day

Thank you! I will give them a call tomorrow to see what they have available! Looks perfect!

Reply to: Portland for the food scene w/ kids for 1 day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted