We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is OOB still hopping in October?

Clarence Center...
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Is OOB still hopping in October?

We will be staying in OOB the first weekend in October. We are looking for a few things to do and were wondering if most shops, restaurants and bars are still open. Thanks!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is OOB still hopping in October?

I would like to know this as well. We are torn between here and Cape Cod. And Clarmom, how funny, we are from Amherst.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Amherst
Amherst
Hampshire County, MA
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is OOB still hopping in October?

If you look around this site, you will get an idea of what will be open in October:

http://www.oldorchardbeachmaine.com/index.htm

OOB is trying to become more of a year-round town, but some attractions, like Palace Playland, close after Labor Day. Obviously, the beach will still be open. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Palace Playland
Palace Playland
494 Reviews
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Clarence Center...
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is OOB still hopping in October?

Small world rummy! Have you been to southern Maine before? We have stayed a couple of places between Wells and Castine and loved every minute of it! We went to Cape Cod last year and while we enjoyed ourselves (rented a house in Hyannis), we found the cape to be very busy and very commercial. We will probably try it again someday in the off-season in hope of a better experience. Thanks CB48 for the info..I will check it out!!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Wells
Wells
Maine
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is OOB still hopping in October?

Hi, we've been to OOB in the summers, when hopping! Haven't gone in October; but one year, we went up in February for a few days. We didn't mind the contrast,, it was actually nice to have a different experience. As mentioned,, the beach, the waves, the sea air, was enough to make us happy.

As far as Cape Cod: Hyannis, Yarmouth, Dennis, (the midcape area), can seem commercial, as Hyannis is the hub. (there's still some quiet areas too); but if you're looking for just beaches, waves, and sea air, low key, you can try the outer cape area,, such as Eastham, Wellfleet, and Truro,, those towns aren't commercial at all; & yes, the off season is quieter.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Yarmouth
Yarmouth
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Dennis
Dennis
Cape Cod, MA
Eastham
Eastham
Cape Cod, MA
Wellfleet
Wellfleet
Cape Cod, MA
Clarence Center...
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is OOB still hopping in October?

Thanks Capelili! We were on the cape in August so it was right smack in the middle of the busiest time! I will check out the places you mentioned for our next trip there.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is OOB still hopping in October?

We were in Orguinquit Maine 2 years ..loved it but wanted to be on the ocean, or as near as we could be. Just love all of Maine. Sounds like enough places will be open.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is OOB still hopping in October?

No probs, Clarmom. Let us know how OOB is in October! It'll still be nice to be by the beach! And Scarborough and Portland are just a short drive away, for more dining options, if a lot is shuttered up. Have a nice, mellow, time!

Mentioned in this post
Clarence Center...
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is OOB still hopping in October?

We have been to Portland but will add Scarborough to the list of possibilities. OOB is just our first stop. I love traveling off season....we have an oceanfront room for $95 a night ! We are headed up to Bar Harbor for a few days and then down to Ogunquit for a few before heading back to reality. We are looking forward to another relaxing and beautiful Maine vacation! I will try to post a review when we get back.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Paw Paw, West...
Level Contributor
12 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is OOB still hopping in October?

October in OOB is divided, by Columbus Day Weekend. Before and during that weekend much is still open, but more close after that weekend. The weather is nice though, and the leaves are tuning inland. My wife and I have been up there several times in October and loved the peacefulness and the beauty of the beach.

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is OOB still hopping in October?

Let's just say there's a good reason you can get a motel room for $180 a week in October. Silent as a tomb in OOB. Weekends do pick up a bit.

Get answers to your questions about Old Orchard Beach