We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Orchard Beach?

Michigan
13 posts
Save Topic
Old Orchard Beach?

We are planning a trip to Bar Harbor in late June. The plan now is to do a whale watching cruise in Gloucester, MA and then continue on to Bar Harbor. Rather than drive all the way there after being on the water for 4 hours, I thought I might stop halfway there, and am considering Old Orchard Beach. We would get there in the afternoon, plan to swim? for a couple of hours, and maybe visit the amusement park in the evening. However, I have just read several reviews that are less than great for this location. So my question is this: would this be an ok stop as described above, or should we look for somewhere else to spend the afternoon and evening? Is this really a run down place with a less than stellar tourist crowd? Or would it be acceptable for a family? Having never been there, I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated!!

Mentioned in this post
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Old Orchard Beach
Old Orchard Beach
1,278 Reviews
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
144 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Orchard Beach?

It's definitely great for a family. I've been going there almost every summer for years. There's always a police presence, walking around, or riding their bikes. That being said, I've never felt unsafe for me and my family. I'm sure there's always issues later in the evening, when drunks are leaving bars, but we're always asleep by then. My kids are 6 and 3, and the 6-year-old is counting the days until we go back this summer. I personally think it's the best Maine beach for families because there's so much lodging and things to do. If it was just me and my wife, we'd probably go to Ogunquit. But with the kids, we always do OOB.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Orchard Beach?

Sorry to hear that you think Old Orchard Beach is a really a run down place with a less than stellar tourist crowd and also not acceptable for a family. It is a fantastic place to raise a family and own a business. There are many fine dining establishments in and around the town center that cater to all tastes. There are walking trails, amusements, arcades, a local museum and the town is only a 12 minute drive to Portland and 20 minute drive to Kennebunkport. As far as motels go you get what you pay for which is the same in Bar Harbor, Ogunquid, Portland and Kennebunkport. Old Orchard Beach attracts tourist from all over the world. The Beach is 7 miles of white sand beach with is always voted as Maine's best beach, it is cleaned daily.

Mentioned in this post
Old Orchard Beach
Old Orchard Beach
1,278 Reviews
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Michigan
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Orchard Beach?

To themeinnkpr:

Thank you for your response, but I think you missed the point of my post. I didn't say that I had an opinion on Old Orchard Beach at all - as I have never been there. I was looking for information from those who had that would either confirm what I have already read in other posts from years past or who could provide information to the contrary. And I wasn't looking for a place to raise my family - only to vacation with them. Despite that, thank you for your input.

Mentioned in this post
Old Orchard Beach
Old Orchard Beach
1,278 Reviews
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
114 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Orchard Beach?

I think OOB has a bad reputation. Not sure if it is due to people who are used to 5 star hotels trying to vacation here, or if there is just something blurred with their vision.

I love OOB, I have gone every summer since 1978.

I think it's a great stop over place (though, I always like to stay longer :) )there is so much to do for every member of the family.

Tons of food, lots of enterainment, shopping galore, and as Richard stated, the cops are highly visible.

I would suggest it, esp if you have never been...and then you can come back and tell us what you think! :)

Montreal Canada
Level Contributor
409 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Orchard Beach?

Something to keep in mind if you're planning to be there between June 22 and 25th. June 25 is a big holiday here in Quebec and a lot of French Canadians head to Old Orchard that weekend. It will be busy...and loud.

If you're planning to stay over on a week night, Old Orchard may be just what you're looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Orchard Beach?

We are staying in Ogunquit for the first time this summer, but the carnival by the water in Old Orchard Beach is one of the things we would like to do. Is this an all day place or a nice place for a couple of hours? We have a 9 yr old. Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Old Orchard Beach
Old Orchard Beach
1,278 Reviews
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
114 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Orchard Beach?

@Laura...the amusements could take up some hours, but it's not a HUGE ride park. There is so much else to do in OOB though, the arcade, mini golf, shopping, not to mention the beach! I would count on being there the better part of a whole day.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Orchard Beach?

Thank you so much for responding! Looking forward to it!

Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
144 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Orchard Beach?

Laura,

you might want to check out Funtown in Saco. I think a 9-year-old would have a lot more fun there (when it comes to rides), and it's probably closer to Ogunquit than Palace Playland at OOB. A lot of the Palace Playland rides are for kids a bit younger than 9.... maybe 5-6.

http://www.funtownsplashtownusa.com/

Mentioned in this post
Saco
Saco
Maine
Palace Playland
Palace Playland
477 Reviews
Old Orchard Beach, ME
L M
Trenton, New Jersey
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Orchard Beach?

"If you're planning to stay over on a week night, Old Orchard may be just what you're looking for."

I'll 2nd this. My 4 y/o loves OOB. Good destination for families with kids. We try to arrange our visits from Mon-Wed.

I also think Palace Playland has enough to keep a 9 y/o entertained considering you'll only be in town for one night.

Edited: 10:17 am, May 08, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Palace Playland
Palace Playland
477 Reviews
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Get answers to your questions about Old Orchard Beach