We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in the Winter

NJ
4 posts
Save Topic
Visiting in the Winter

I am curious to know if there is anything to do in the winter in Maine.. even though we would love to come in the winter and get a house on the water. And stay inside... Is this just a dumb idea, or do travelers actually do this. Your response is appreciated. Thanks

LJR
Saco, Maine
Level Contributor
344 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting in the Winter

I don't see anything dumb at all about that! A condo or house on the water with a fireplace, good food, good company, why not....

We live here year round. There are restaurants with live music, movie theatres, Portland Stage Company, the Old Port, The Maine Mall. Enjoy!!

NJ
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting in the Winter

Great, thank you. I asked becasue I noticed most people said they were going in Sept- October- March, blah blah accrding to the forum! Glad you said that, looks like we'll go in the winter hen. I am craving a fresh fresh lobster. Is Portland a good town to be in? Where coming from NJ via Amtrak

southern Maine
Level Contributor
43 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting in the Winter

Portland is a beautiful town to walk around in.

the old port is full of little shops and restaurants.

in the winter for fun me and my boyfriend will go for strolls in town and spend the day just wasting time.

and if that gets boring you can take a 20min drive to Freeport and checkout the outlets and walk around there, which is a pretty big tourist spot in the summer as well but just as pretty in the winter.

rhode island
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting in the Winter

there is nothing crazy about being at the beach in the winter.s i have a winterized home up in ocean park few houses away from the dunes and we love to go up, crank the heat, and watch the snow, but also listen to the seagulls while it is snowing. there is nothing better. too bad summers are so short!!!!

there is plenty to do up there. freeport outlets are wonderful and it is so much fun to walk around. the Old Port is great too.

Augusta, Maine
Level Contributor
180 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting in the Winter

I actually prefer a winter beach to a summer beach!!!Get all bundled up, take a thermos of hot tea, hunker down behind a high dune, and breathe the cold, sea air. It is a very different experience than being on a beach in the summer. When my kids were little it was a an annual ritual that sometime in Feb. we would all play hooky from work and school and go to the beach for the afternoon---sometimes we even had a cookout if we were at a state park that had grills. So, don't just stay inside. Being outside in winter in Maine is wonderful, too.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting in the Winter

Well, since someone mentioned getting outside, it's one of the reasons I stay in Maine. I love winter activities: skiing (downhill or cross-country), sliding, tubing (they haul you up the hill!), skating, snowshoeing... No need to stay inside!

7. Re: Visiting in the Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, October 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Old Orchard Beach