We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day, trip report

Which Ogunquit hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
24,416 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Labor Day, trip report

Wife, Daughter and Grandkids left early Saturday morning for a picture perfect beach day. I drove up Saturday afternoon running into traffic starting at the Ogunquit Playhouse but since I was turning off at the Meadowmere to take me to Seacastles where we were staying it was not a big deal for me.

The town was packed more so then I've seen in awhile but that was to be expected, knowing it was almost impossible to take a car for supper we knew we had to stay local, made a call to Le Pizzeria and was having dinner within the hour. The rest of the night was spent doing the usual browsing, toy store, ice cream and late night pastry and coffee. Traffic was still bumper to bumper.

Sunday was up early but knew it was not going to be a beach day, took our time with a walk down the Marginal Way then to breakfast at the Cove Cafe. A trolley ride back into town was in order since the kids love the ride. Once back in town we killed a few hours and by this time the traffic was once again bumper to bumper. Daughter and children left Ogunquit around noon taking my car back home. We then get a phone call; it was my Son informing us he was coming up for lunch. He met us at the Hotel and immediately wanted to go down to Perkins Cove to browse, so off he and the wife go while I stayed at the hotel and relaxed outside on a lawn chair. Lunch was at Frills in town after a 30 min wait for a table, hung around town afterwards and he finally headed home around 5/6pm, he’s only a 30 min ride away. The wife and I finally find ourselves alone with no kids around, LOL.

Wife and I decided to have a late supper at MC's then back into town for coffee and a little bench warming and people watching at the cross roads, traffic still bumper to bumper. Talked to at least 4 different people we have met over the years.

Monday starts out terrible weather wise, we have breakfast at a small cafe out on route 1 north, by 10am the Sun breaks and we were on the beach the rest of the day with many of our local friends around us reminiscing about the great summer. The day turns out beautiful. We called it a day at 4pm knowing we would be in traffic for awhile going home, we pack up the Jeep and off we go stopping at Wild Willy's for an early dinner. To our surprise the traffic was very light and opened up considerably after the bridge. Another great weekend was over with no regrets.

Next Saturday is Kite Day for the kids, it’s a great day for the family with Free kites given out to the kids on the beach, let’s hope the weather cooperates.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day, trip report

Nice report, DiceMan.... Sounds like you lucked out traffic-wise on Monday; from the reports I saw and heard the fog and clouds up-state in the morning got lots of folks started home early -- guess the worst traffic through the York tolls was from late morning to mid-afternoon... Sometimes waiting a while can pay off on a less than sunny day... between the improving weather and the declining traffic... Now a couple of quieter weeks before the Fall Foliage crunch begins...

Boston
Level Contributor
24,416 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day, trip report

" Nice report, DiceMan.... Sounds like you lucked out traffic-wise on Monday; from the reports I saw and heard the fog and clouds up-state in the morning got lots of folks started home early"

I sort of thought that myself, especially for the people going back home to NY or Canada. Im glad we hung around.

I went through the NH tool booth at around 6:00 pm, all the booths were open and NO back up whatsoever.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day, trip report

YES! We finally went and we LOVED it! Now I know why you go there every weekend. I was left wanting more more more of the beach, shops and Ogunquit all around. Plan on at least going every other year as I travel from Alabama, would love to try my darnedest to make it every year. I LOVE this place... :)

Boston
Level Contributor
24,416 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Day, trip report

" YES! We finally went and we LOVED it! Now I know why you go there every weekend'

Glad you had a wonderful time; and we do realize how lucky we are to live so close.

5. Re: Labor Day, trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 24, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit