We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is The Traffic Getting Worse?

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
350 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Is The Traffic Getting Worse?

I came through here on my way back from Bar Harbor/Boothbay/Camden and was surprised at how busy it was. I haven't been to OG in the summer in 3-4 years so we wanted to spend a few hours there on the way home this past weekend. I couldn't belive how bad the traffic was on Rt 1 coming north and Shore Rd. It seemed worse than I remember. I don't think there's much you can do given that intersection but I wondered if it was ever discussed. As much as we enjoy going there I'd think twice about visiting in the summer again based on what I saw.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is The Traffic Getting Worse?

Not sure if it's much worse this summer than its been in the past few years.... downtown Ogunquit has always been a "choke point" on that part of Rt 1... Possible changes there have been proposed/discussed by the Maine Dept of Transportation over the decades... too expensive and too much impact on existing businesses to do much that would really help move traffic more quickly through an area that congested and with that amont of pedestrian traffic. Another classic case of the inherent competition between a "community downtown" with merchants who want to serve "local" traffic and a "through route" that also is supposed to carry regional commercial traffic.... Best overall solution might be a bypass to carry folks who don't want/need to be "downtown" around town, but merchants traditionally oppose ideas like that for fear they'll lose business. And the cost of land acquisition for, and relocation of anyone displaced by, a new route is prohibitive in that part of Maine.

Boston...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is The Traffic Getting Worse?

No. Same.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,543 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is The Traffic Getting Worse?

Other then living up there and seeing it on a daily basis we are only in Ogunquit on weekends throughout the summer and on Mondays. The traffic IMO was not as bad in June and July as it has been in previous years except for the few exceptions such as July 4th.

The August traffic has IMO picked up a bit but no worst then in previous years, all in all tourism seems to be down this year compared to previous years. Hotels/Motels that were always booked in previous years are now showing plenty of vacancy signs. We are booked this coming weekend so I expect it to be busy since it will be the last weekend for many before school starts.

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
350 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is The Traffic Getting Worse?

I wonder how many people are just passing through OG on their way to somewhere else and if those people might be better off continuing on 95 to get to Wells, etc. Maybe a sign posted on 95 warning of traffic and suggesting an alternate route might help? Also, I have to believe some of these people coming north on RT 1 are turning onto Shore Rd. to get to their hotels or Perkins Cove. I know there are back roads into both places further south on Route 1 and while I understand those roads are smaller two lane roads it might ease some of the congestion in the middle of town. I know someone mentioned that crowds were down this summer but last weekend looked like traffic on steroids. And if crowds were down, I wonder if it's the economy or people staying away because they're growing tired of the wait to go anywhere, especially at certain times of the day. And so the concern that local merchants have about a bypass and loss of business, which may be legitimate, will manifest itself in a different way, as is being suggested now.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,543 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is The Traffic Getting Worse?

At any given time traffic can get hectic, with day trippers alone coming to the beach both Shore Rd and Route 1 can be backed up along with the Beach Road leading down to the Main beach parking lot. Much of the traffic as you state is also going to other areas such as Kennebunkport in which the road leading into is almost impossible at certain times.

When I give advise I try to stress how important Location is whereas you park your car at the Hotel/Motel and Never need to use it again. I know trolleys run back and forth to different areas but trolleys still are part of the traffic.

I also believe that most people staying in the Village area say from Juniper Hill to Perkins Cove will eat in and around the village without having to use there car.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is The Traffic Getting Worse?

There is a back way on Berwick Rd. North of the traffic intersection and I have taken it to get to Rt. 95, but I can only do it with a GPS. Maybe, the Diceman can explain the details. :-)

Boston
Level Contributor
24,543 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is The Traffic Getting Worse?

If you google Berwick Road Ogunquit it will give you a map. Not everyone would have a reason to use Berwick Road including myself.

New York
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is The Traffic Getting Worse?

It is my understanding that part of the problem with more traffice during weekends this year is that, due to the economy, there are more people from the local surrounding areas coming in as a day trip rather then going away for the summer. We experienced tremendous traffic during the weekends but during the week there was less traffic then normal. Either way, we love the area and just roll with it.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is The Traffic Getting Worse?

Just got back from Ogunquit, and the traffic was so bad this weekend, really, but it will return to normal now that the Labor Day weekend is over.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,543 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is The Traffic Getting Worse?

" Just got back from Ogunquit, and the traffic was so bad this weekend, really, but it will return to normal now that the Labor Day weekend is over."

We were there over the weekend and the traffic was brutal as you state but was to be expected over Labor Day, Our drive home at 5pm Monday was not busy at all, we were expecting worse. Great to see the town so crowded.

Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit