We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend vs mid-week in August

Which Ogunquit hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Hartford...
Level Contributor
159 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
weekend vs mid-week in August

We are a gay couple planning to visit and stay in Ogunquit and explore some of the coast in August. We are trying to get a sense of what the crowds are like. We enjoy a certain degree amount activity and would like some lively nightlife, but at the same time do not want to be overwhelmed with crowds or stuck in traffic or not be able to get into restaurants without a long wait. Based on this, would you recommend a weekend or mid-week visit? Thanks for your help.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
57 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend vs mid-week in August

August will be flat out crowded, whether weekday or weekend. Ogunquit can somehow absorb the people and it's not so crowded you can't move. I wouldn't worry about the crowds, the enjoyment I received when I stayed last year outweighed any problem with crowds.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,450 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend vs mid-week in August

I am in Ogunquit both on weekend stays and day trips during the week since Im just about an hours drive away, the crowds and traffic in summer are very heavy especially on weekends, they do ease a bit during the week because you wont have the weekend day travelers. Even at peak times on weekends I usually dont find long lines waiting to get into restaurants since there are an abundant of places to dine.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,335 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend vs mid-week in August

We've been heading there for years and prefer to go during the week rather than weekends. Traffic exists no matter what but it seems more manageable during the week. As for the beach, there is plenty of room for everyone so that's not an issue whatsoever.

Montreal Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend vs mid-week in August

If you have to drive everywhere, you will find that you're spending a lot of time in traffic. Suggest you stay at a place you can walk to the beach, Perkins Cove etc. Parking is hard to find in Ogunquit at peak season...and it's also expensive.

Edited: 9:25 am, April 26, 2011
Maine
Level Contributor
146 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weekend vs mid-week in August

I don't know when in August you're planning to come to Ogunquit, but we notice that the crowds start to taper off, particularly during the week, after August 15th -- just something we've observed after living here for a number of years.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weekend vs mid-week in August

Yes, it is very crowded in August, more so on the weekends. If you can stay within walking distance of the village and beach or Perkins Cove, you will be much happier just parking the car once and walking everywhere. The traffic is very slow going through town.

I agree that crowds do lessen after August 15. many families head back home to get ready for school. Many schools start up within the next 2 weeks after that.

Go for mid-week if possible.

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
159 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weekend vs mid-week in August

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Based on what everyone has said, we have decided on a mid-week visit in late August - it sounds like there will still be plenty going on but maybe a little less busy than the weekend. We have also booked a place where we'll be able to leave the car and walk. Looking forward to the visit!

Meth. ma.
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weekend vs mid-week in August

Just left Ogunquit.Crowds were not bad. it is the beach. They have trolleys but everything is within walking distance. Stop worrying about traffic and enjoy.

9. Re: weekend vs mid-week in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, October 29, 2012