We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic is a nightmare; Traffic light desperately needed

NorthEast
Level Contributor
11 posts
333 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic is a nightmare; Traffic light desperately needed

Ogunquit attracts thousands to its great beaches and large selection of restaurants, but it fails to address the problem of constant traffic backups on Rt 1. It has taken up to one hour to make the 2 mile stretch toward Beach St from the south. The major reasons include traffic volume, a large concentrated number of restaurants, motels, numerous closely spaced pedestrian crosswalks and feeder roads and,no traffic light to manageall of this With no traffic light every pedestrian simply assumes the right to step out to cross Rt 1. Bicyclists also take advantage of weaving in between cars thus making driving slower and more dangerous.

Traffic travelling north to Ogunquit via towns with traffic signals do not have such traffic nighmares. Ogunquit needs to seriously address the traffic problem with traffic signals.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Traffic is a nightmare; Traffic light desperately needed

I have had to drive through Wiscasset, Ogunquit and Camden this summer and would be hard-pressed to choose which is more time consuming. In each instance, the biggest problem is multiple crosswalks and many pedestrians.

Wiscasset and the state of Maine have been discussing a bypass forever. No one can agree on the best route. I think they should just get overhead crosswalks (like in Vegas) and let the traffic pass underneath :-)

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
183 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Traffic is a nightmare; Traffic light desperately needed

They could at least put up a stop sign on Rte 1. It seems that the bulk of the delays/stops are from the people who don't know who's turn it is to go or turn or wait from the Rte 1 intersection and the downtown intersection.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,543 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Traffic is a nightmare; Traffic light desperately needed

" I think they should just get overhead crosswalks (like in Vegas) and let the traffic pass underneath :-) "

The traffic is still a nightmare in LV, you can still be stuck on the strip for 30 min or longer depending on what day and what time it is.

What the traffic usually looks like LOL

…photobucket.com/albums/vv323/TheDiceman7/…

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Traffic is a nightmare; Traffic light desperately needed

Hm-m-m I guess that's why we always walk or trolley or use anything but a car when we're in Vegas! :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Traffic is a nightmare; Traffic light desperately needed

A few months during the year, they just need a good old-fashioned traffic cop to keep things moving. Some solutions are just TOO simple.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Traffic is a nightmare; Traffic light desperately needed

Actually, I remember when Wiscasset had crossing guards (similar concept to the traffic cop). They got rid of them because they insisted it wasn't any better. To be honest, I don't think it was. You put a major car route through a major pedestrian route, and things are going to be slow...

Ottawa
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Traffic is a nightmare; Traffic light desperately needed

Walk when you can, Bike when you should, and leave the driving to the Trolly Bus.

Wuts-ur-Hurry ?

Salem, MA
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Traffic is a nightmare; Traffic light desperately needed

a trolley driver once commented, welcome to "malfunction junction"!

19. Re: Traffic is a nightmare; Traffic light desperately needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 25, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit