We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wells vs ogunquit

Which Ogunquit hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
salem ma.
Level Contributor
127 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
wells vs ogunquit

we are travling with two grandchildren ages 3 and 7 last year we stayed at the norseman which was great. this year they seemed to be already full. how would you compare lafayette or atlantic motor inns on wells beach to norseman on ogunquit beach and what is the difference between the two beaches the children loved the tide pool on the beach

thanks

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wells vs ogunquit

We just returned from a very nice three night stay at the Atlantic Motor Inn on Wells Beach. One of the reviews mentioned "dated" decor, but everything in our room seemed brand new and housekeeping was meticulous. The refrigerator was a good size. We stayed in an oceanfront room with a balcony - magnificient views! The photos on the web site are very accurate of the entire property. Lafayette also looked very nice from the outside.

The location is excellent, midway between Ogunquit and Kennebunkport. Lots of casual restaurants nearby, with the lobster pound a short distance away. There's a huge Hannaford (supermarket) and Rite-Aid (drugstore) just before you turn off Route 1, along with many convenience stores.

Maine
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wells vs ogunquit

As far as beaches go Ogunquit is nicer, you could try the Anchorage Inn on Shore Rd. it's right on Marginal Way, short walk to the beach

Ogunquit, Maine
Level Contributor
93 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wells vs ogunquit

With little children that age you would like Wells - Both Lafayette and Atlantic Motor Inn are close to the beach with tidal pools.

Lafayette has an indoor pool that may be a lifesaver if the weather is cool or rainy. Can;t speak for the pgrades or decor because I haven't been in there for years.

Ogunquit does have some more updated motels, but you'll find that the each does not compare along that road. Kids don't want to walk Marginal Way....they want to step out the door to build their sandcastles......We live on the ocean at Wells and the kids are busy all day with digging and collecting snails.....

New York
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wells vs ogunquit

We have been taking our children to Ogunquit since they were young and they still insist on going with us even though they are in their 20's. When they were young they loved the beach in Ogunquit, loved the evening walks into town or evening trolly rides and they actually enjoyed the Marginal Way, as it ended at the candy store or ice cream shop in Perkins Cove. They insist to this day on walking the Marginal Way as a "Family Tradition". We havent stayed in Wells, but I dont think it offers the same variety of activities that you can do without a car.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: wells vs ogunquit

Exactly, AttySteve! I grew up summers on Ogunquit beach doing all of that and have taken a couple of generations of kids there to do the same.

In addition to what he mentions, the river offers additional "features" to a "regular" beach that are great for kids. The sand flats at low/lowering tide offer warm pools for little ones to play in and a freedom to feel far from parents, but still be safe. The flats also provide space for games and flying kites. The steep riverbank is great to build castles and dive off of. And the 7 year old can take advantage of the best part, floating down the river as the tide goes out. Even a 3 year old would (and ours have) like this if on the same float as an adult and in a vest. And then catching crabs and crossing the river when it's almost fully low. They won't want to leave.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wells vs ogunquit

Hi steph,

I am heading to Ogunquit for a brief getaway today. I've been there many times and am looking forward to going again.

Wells and Ogunquit each have their own ambience and pros and cons.

Wells, especially if you stay in the Moody Beach area, is more residential in feel and many rent cottages by the week, month or season. The beach is nice too. But you have to drive everywhere if staying in Moody.

Ogunquit, as you know can be quite crowded and is probably more expensive than Wells but lovely all the same and there are many benefits to staying there.

My favorite is Ogunquit. I like the idea of parking my car and forgetting about it and walking everywhere.

However, Moody Beach is nice w/little ones if staying for a week as it would be more low key and not as hectic in feeling as Ogunquit.

Friends of mine use to own a place in Moody and we'd visit when the kids were small and I have nice memories of it.

Hope I havent' confused you even more! Good luck and don't forget to post and let us know how things went :).

I'm off to Ogunquit!

cozyharbor

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wells vs ogunquit

Ogunquit, hands down.

8. Re: wells vs ogunquit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, September 29, 2009