We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$$ Lobster $$ ??

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
$$ Lobster $$ ??

Just curious as to what the current market price is for a lobster dinner in Ogunquit. I've always heard you can get lobster relatively inexpensive in Maine ...just wondering how true it is!

Thanks

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $$ Lobster $$ ??

I checked through the Portland paper for ads, and one restaurant has twin lobsters for $25, another a shore dinner for $19, so hopefully that will give you an idea.

While lobsters are certainly less expensive here because you don't have to pay the shipping costs, they're anything but cheap!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $$ Lobster $$ ??

I traveled quite a ways north and south of Ogunquit and could not find reasonably priced lobster anywhere, even at the no-frills outdoor picnic table type places. I actually can buy Maine lobster cheaper here in Tampa, FL! Perhaps off-season it can be found reasonably, but not anywhere near Ogunquit at this time of year.

Maine
Level Contributor
275 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $$ Lobster $$ ??

There has been a lobster shortage for almost two years now, somehow connected with global warming, so prices are up and will probably remain so. Probably the cheapest you can get them is in a supermarket (+/- $8.99/lb) and some of them will cook the creatures for you.

Hard to believe that only 100 years ago, the lobster was used as fertilizer on gardens!

Burke, VA
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $$ Lobster $$ ??

I'm not sure what the price is, but we were just in Ogunquit last week and the price at the Ogunquit Lobster Point for a 3.5 pound lobster was about $18/pound I think. It wasn't cheap.

btw - the Ogunquit Lobster Pound, while a neat place to visit and see how it operates is not all its cracked up to be. We could have had a Lobster dinner to share for $32 at Jonathans, however I don't know what size Lobster it was.

Maine
Level Contributor
275 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $$ Lobster $$ ??

Are you sure it was $18/lb? That would be a $63.00 lobster! Maybe it was $18.00 total?

Burke, VA
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $$ Lobster $$ ??

The total bill for 2 people for soft drinks and a 3.5 pound lobster was $78 before tip. You do the math.

Burke, VA
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $$ Lobster $$ ??

I just double checked. They are charging 17.95 per pound at the Ogunquit Lobster Pound.

Maine
Level Contributor
275 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $$ Lobster $$ ??

HOLY CATS!!!!!!!

That would be a good price for clear meat. Wow! I hope it was tasty.

Boston...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: $$ Lobster $$ ??

The Pgunquit Lobster Pound is pretty bad, I am sorry to say.

I was invited there this weekend. Tried the Baked Stuffed Lobster Tails -- OMG it tasted previously frozen, not fresh at all. Like Red Lobster or something equally horrid. 2 other people at my table made this same mistake and we were all unhappy.

When leaving the chick who takes the money (big money at that place) asked me "How was Everything?" I told her the Baked Stuffed Lobster Tails do not taste fresh. Blank look from her. I said "are they fresh ?" - she said yes they are but would not taste as fresh as if we had gotten the boiled Lobster. She did not say "sorry" or anything like it - just stared back at me. So why ask that stupid "How was Everything?" question if you don't care ...

Last year I had a good meal here but the year before I also recall bad meals. So, I am now going to steer clear and I partially blame the money chick for this decision ...

New York
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $$ Lobster $$ ??

Just got back from Ogunquit. The most expensive lobster we had (hard shell) was at Barnacle Billys Etc. $41.00 for a 2 pounder. The Lobster Pound was something like $18.95/pound for hardshell. The cheapest we found was at Chaunceys at about $14.00/pound. We had a twin lobster dinner at Cape Neddick for around $32.00 but they were soft shell and no where near as good. I think the Lobster Shack on Perkins Cove was around $17/pound. When comparing prices make sure you are comparing hardshell for hardshell and softshell for softshell.

Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit