We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how does ogunquit compare with narragansett, RI

kansas
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
how does ogunquit compare with narragansett, RI

I'm looking for anyone's opinion on how ogunquit compares with narragansett, RI. We will be spending time at both, but I was trying to decide if I should devote more time to one over the other. Has anyone been to both? We'll be traveling with 4 kids aged 17 to 5, but are mostly interested in just a nice beach experience instead of arcades, amusement parks, etc. Thanks a lot.

Malverne, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: how does ogunquit compare with narragansett, RI

I have not been to Naragansett, however, our family has spent out summer vacation renting a home in Ogunquit for the last 15 years or so. If what you want is a GREAT beach experience, Ogunquit is the place for you. It is called the "walking town" - you can walk to EVERYTHING, including the beach, shopping, fine restaurants and even summer theatre - it is the BEST, especially for a family with kids!!!

new York
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: how does ogunquit compare with narragansett, RI

You know we have spent alot of time in Maine from Bar Harbor,Portland,Wells, York and Ogunquit. We love them all just to relax and take in the sights. The beaches are all beautiful!!!!Of course the restaurants are superb from seafood to steak..Take ur choice and they all accomendate children...We usually go the later part of June..It is crowded but not as crowded as July and August. The last time we went with the grandchildren was Old Orchard and camped in a rental park model camper at Baileys Campground.The vacation was wonderful 3 pools, restaurant so we could go out to breakfast, entertainment every night, camp fires and the good life.They even bussed us to Old Orchard Beach!!!!1,000.00 a week...... Not bad huh? Look them up on line..Very clean and the kids would love it!!!!!!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: how does ogunquit compare with narragansett, RI

jayhawk6,

It occurred to me that everyone is siniging the praises of Maine and Ogunquit, though they have not been to Narragansett or RI in general. Have you posted to the RI Forum? This would be a good place to get info on Narragansett to compare with the Maine info you are getting here. Turly, they both have their charms.

By the way, the suggestion of Block Island is a great one. I have never been there, so did not know that it would work as a day trip, or what to expect once you get there. While the Cape is special and unique, likewise Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, they are more special and unique the farther out you get, and generally crowded on a good summer day.

New York
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: how does ogunquit compare with narragansett, RI

Contrary to what Nextstoples said, I stated in an earlier post that I have been to both. Ogunquit has Narragansett and the entire State of Rhode Island beat in every catagory. Block Island is an OK day trip. Once you get into town and walk around the shops on the one street, there really isn't anything left to due. It is a nice diversion if the only thing you have left is the rest of Rhode Island.

granville
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: how does ogunquit compare with narragansett, RI

After growing up in RI of course I will rave about it! I am home every year in July and I spend my time at the ocean. In Narr. the beach is long and lovely! I would suggest you drive to Galilee(where I grew up!) and take the ferry to Block Island. Small island with lots to do! Lighthouses and the best beaches around!! I have brought friends that have traveled the world and all they could do is rave about the beaches. All beach area is open to the public free! You will have no car there on the island but you can walk to more than you will need! The famous lighthouse is a 25 minute walk from the ferry and all along the ocean! The hike down the HUGE staircase(down the cliff!) to the very secluded beach-you will be tempted to spend the day there! Play in the waves and take lots of pictures. You will need to be in good health to make it up and down the cliff staircase but I have done it 7 months pregnant and survived(barely)! Then head back to town and enjoy the shops and have a great lunch at one of the little eateries anlong main street-with there walls open to the breezes! Right near the ferry dock is the 'fun' beach! The restaurant/bar located on the beach(can't remember the name!) has live bands that make for a great suntanning soundtrack! They also have waitreses go along the beach and serve drinks! This is a great day!

Next , Newport is a must! I never let a guest miss it! Walk the ocean Cliff Walk and you will be in awe! mansions and ocean views that cannot be beat! Be sure to take an hour and tour a mansion-you won't forget it! I suggest the Breakers or the marble House. Price is cheap for a tour and worth every penny! Great shops along the wharf and lots of dining. It will be crowded in July and August so beware. Not worth keeping you away though! As for Maine, Ogunquit does have a lovely beach. I go there in May and enjoy having the place to ourselves! A nice drive to York to the famous Stonewall Kitchens(yummy!) and to Wells for a fabulous meal at The Steakhouse! I didn't find much to do in Ogunquit itself and made day trips to other areas. Hope this helps!Lisa

New England
Level Contributor
348 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: how does ogunquit compare with narragansett, RI

Another RI native...born and raised but has since moved to NH. I am also partial to RI and agree with all Lisa has to say about it. IF interested check out an evening at waterfire in providence. Only a 25 min ride from newport area. Great restaurants too. Not a place i'd invest alot of time...but great to see.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: how does ogunquit compare with narragansett, RI

My daughter went on a field trip to Block Island yesterday. They rented bikes. If you go that would be a nice idea. I do love Narragansett, but really, there is not that much to do except the beaches and nice restaurants. Of course with me that's just fine. The mansions in Newport are worth a drive thru. There is more to do in Newport between the beaches, shopping and mansions but for some reason I prefer Narragansett.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
104 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: how does ogunquit compare with narragansett, RI

Its probably too late for your trip now, but we drove through Ogunquit today, and frankly we couldn't get out of there fast enough. Unless huge crowds and $20 parking is your idea of a great town you might try somewhere else. We inched through the streets in our car, while hundreds of people walked to wherever. The beach was very crowded, but very few in the water (I'm assuming its cold). We had planned on staying there but quickly changed plans and went to Boothbay Harbor.

Boston is great. There are a billion things to do. My kids (aged 3, 9 and 11) loved Plymouth Plantation, too, and the replica Mayflower. The New England Aquarium is disappointing if you have ever visited a decent aquarium (Monterey or Long Beach in CA).

19. Re: how does ogunquit compare with narragansett, RI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit