We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any questions?

Millinocket, Maine
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any questions?

I moved to Millinocket two years ago, to start a gallery and work as an astist, from southern Maine and am a native Mainer that lived in DC for 8 years, then southern Maine for 19 before moving up here to get out of the rat race. This is a little bit of paradise but is uncharted territory to a lot who come here. I have been reading the postings and wonder if I might answer some questions for anyone? I'll check in from time to time and try to steer you to the right information, if I can. We up here definitely want you to have a great experience and come back often.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any questions?

Just a suggestion---

From time to time, monitor the "Maine forums" set. Many of the questions regarding Millinocket and environs arise in the other Maine forums. For example, on the Bar Harbor forum, we fairly regularly get inquiries about travelling from here to Millinocket or Baxter SP to see moose.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Millinocket, Maine
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Any questions?

Thank you cwvoigt. I will keep an eye out.

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any questions?

OK, you offered, and I'm taking you up on it. We've often traveled to Pittsburgh, NH for "moose" photo trips. It's about a 7 hr. trip, and we've always seen moose, but are ready for a change of scenery. Because it's about 11 hours driving, I want to be sure we're as prepared as possible. Would you suggest May, June, July, or Oct? We'd like to avoid the busy season, but realize that the foIks come then for a reason. realize that the moose are "Scruffy looking in May, and the bulls don't have full racks yet, but the moose seem to be out more in spring. Is that true for Maine also? We've found a very small, simple cabin in Pittsburgh that's got a warm shower, for $55/night. Is there anything even close in price near Baxter? All we need is a warm bed and shower. Can you recommend any inexpensive diners, or family style restaurants. Can you Kayak on the Sandy Stream Pond and Stump Pond, and if so, how far is the carry? In NH, the only times to really see the moose are dusk & dawn, but it seems from reading posts here that the moose are seen in the ponds during the day. Is it practical to pack a lunch and spend the day at the ponds? I'm trying to justify the extra time, distance and money to visit Maine insterad of NH, and any tips would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Maine
Maine
United States
Millinocket
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any questions?

Yes you can see Moose in the spring, June I find is quite a good month, there is also the great possibility to see calves also. There are alot of options for cabin rentals, motels & camping, alot of this can be found on the Katahdin Area Chamber website www.katahdinmaine.com. If you love theout of doors, kayaking, hiking.... this region cannot be beat. Hope to see you in the woods this summer.

Millinocket
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any questions?

Yes you can see Moose in the spring, June I find is quite a good month, there is also the great possibility to see calves also. There are alot of options for cabin rentals, motels & camping, alot of this can be found on the Katahdin Area Chamber website www.katahdinmaine.com. If you love theout of doors, kayaking, hiking.... this region cannot be beat. Hope to see you in the woods this summer.

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any questions?

Thanks for the reply - I look forward to meeting you in the woods this Spring - I'll be the one with the grin on my face :-)

Maunaloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any questions?

any good xcountry trails? ty

Millinocket, Maine
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Any questions?

Sue6389, I have been remiss in checking this link but you got some good advice! The only difference between June and early October, which is the other time to avoid crowds, is that the bugs are worse in June and the foliage, which can be stunning, is out in early October. Unfortunately, moose hunting starts in September and you don't want to be out there without adequate safety orange clothing. The moose seem to be out all summer, too, because they go into the ponds and lakes to stay cool. We have revamped our chamber of commerce website the past couple of months, www.katahdinmaine.com, which the other writer gave you. You can find contacts for moosespotting on there, too. For places to stay, a little known and great place is the Penobscot Outdoor Center on Pocwockamus Pond. It is located one mile from Baxter State Park's southern entrance and has men's and women's bath facilities, with showers, and a variety of camping options, a restaurant, lounge, sauna, hot tub and a GREAT view of the mountain. Check it out www.northernoutdoors.com or call (800)765-7238 (may be a seasonal number) They run a rafting company, too, and have horseshoes, pool, volleyball, and sometimes Karioke! It's a fun spot. Don't know what Pittsburgh is like but you really should check out Millinocket's playground!

Mentioned in this post
Baxter State Park
Baxter State Park
335 Reviews
Millinocket, ME
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Massachusetts
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any questions?

Sooooo, how is it up there in the winter? If we come up for a weekend later in January, what would we be able to do? Are most retaurants and shops open? Do you have snow? Thanks for the info.

Millinocket, Maine
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Any questions?

Restaurants and shops are open but, so far, there is no snow. That is not what xcountry skiiers and snowmobilers want to hear (or ice fishermen) but the report from a few couples in the last week who came up here for a quiet retreat was that with no snow it was a little easier to hike around in the park. They all had a wonderful time and stopped at my gallery to buy something to remember the place by! Twin Pine, owned by New England Outdoor Center, neoc.com, has wonderful cabins at the side of Millinocket Lake with a great view of the mountain and you can access anything from there. I guess it depends upon what you're looking for. We are certainly not a roaring honky tonk at this time of year but you can still bang around in the wilderness and chill out. We are still praying for some snow....

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States