We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare braxter state park to white mountains

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Compare braxter state park to white mountains

Can someone compare the white mountains of new Hampshire to braxter state park as far as the hiking, scenery, wildlife, tourists, camping, things to do...? We are looking into these areas and are having a tough time deciding between them. Thanks!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compare braxter state park to white mountains

Whoops * Baxter state park

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compare braxter state park to white mountains

Unless you're an avid backcountry hiker looking to spend time above tree-line or at some of the White Mountain huts, I'd say it's an apples-and-oranges comparison.....

Baxter State Park was founded to be, and still is, "forever wild". Access is via a Park Access Road that is paved for only part of its length and then reverts to a narrow gravel-surfaced roadway. People entering the park are expected to be totally self-sufficient as far as food, vehicle fuel, etc are considered. Motorized trail bikes, ATV's etc are prohibited throughout the park and motorcycle and bicycle travel are regulated. Vehicles entering the park are limited to 22-feet or less in length. Day-use access is limited at some locations to prevent over-crowding. Because of the distance of the park entrance from the nearest communities of any size, many people visiting the park reserve a campsite, park lean-to or park cabin for one or more nights with reservations for the more popular locations selling out quickly each year.

By comparison, most of the roads used by the vast majority of people visiting the White Mountains area are paved; access roads are generally much more iimproved than those at Baxter. The White Mountains National Forest and surrounding areas see many, many more day-trip visitors each day. And villages and towns with a wide variety of services are closer and more plentiful in the White's than in Baxter. And as a percentage of visitors, I suspect far more White Mountain visitors return at the end of the day to their hotel/motel/inn/b&b with dinner at a nearby restaurant than do visitors to Baxter...

Scenery is prevalent in both places....although many of the best views in Baxter will require significant hiking to get to... The White's have some great back-country scenery as well, but also offers more road-accessible vistas.

"Things to do" in each place will depend on how serious you are about your hiking and camping.... As already noted, many of the hikes in the Whites also offer the opportunity for modern-day-conveniences at the end of the day if you so desire. That includes many of the things-to-do one associates with any fair-sized town.... In Baxter State Park, the vast majority of hikes end at a remote wilderness campground (either the one you started at or a different one) which offers no electricity, no modern conveniences, and where supper is whatever you carried in with you to cook that night.

If I were trying to decide, I'd ask myself just what kind of hiking or camping I really wanted to do, how close I wanted to be to electricity and civilization at the end of the day, and how hard I was willing to work to get to wherever I decided to go.... Answers to those questions should make your decision easier....

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Compare braxter state park to white mountains

This is very helpful thank you! I think we may lean towards the white mountains in that case.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Compare braxter state park to white mountains

No universally "right" or "wrong" answer here -- just a matter of finding the experience that best fits the kind of experience you're looking for.... have traveled both Baxter and the Whites extensively over the years and greatly enjoyed the different experiences both had to offer. The trick is to match your trip to your expectations.

5. Re: Compare braxter state park to white mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, May 11, 2015