We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need your help finding a place to go around Jackman.

Which Jackman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Need your help finding a place to go around Jackman.

My wife i are intending to stop at Jackman, Maine on our way from Canada to Bar Harbor during the 3rd week of September... maybe stay a day or two, BUT, there doesn't appear to be anywhere to eat.

We are two middle aged professionals with no kids. We are interested in hiking, viewing nature (love to see a moose) and outdoor activities. At night we are pub kind of people. Any suggestions? Is Jackman a bad idea? How about a little east, like Moosehead?

Thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need your help finding a place to go around Jackman.

There are places to eat in Jackman, Maine. There is the Bigwood Steak House http://www.bigwoodsteakhouse.com/ There is the Four Seasons Restaurant -- rather like a small diner. And maybe one other place.

Jackman is a very small town. The highway is the main street, about four blocks long. There is no pub scene. But you can get a drink.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need your help finding a place to go around Jackman.

Thanks for the info. I don't need to party till dawn but a couple drinks and dinner is nice after a long day of exploring.

Tampa
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need your help finding a place to go around Jackman.

Yes I stayed there in Oct 2009 and you certainly won't starve but there are better places to eat further east, we ate at this really great place called The Black Frog, right on Moosehead Lake in Greenville - its about an hour east of Jackman.

Augusta, ME
Level Contributor
34 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need your help finding a place to go around Jackman.

You won't starve in Jackman......there are at least three restaurants in town. Be sure to stop at the trading post on your way out.........it is a real hoot. Watch for moose on 201, especially after dark. They don't call it moose alley for nothing.

Jackman, Maine...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need your help finding a place to go around Jackman.

The Last Resort is an out-of-the way set of old sporting camps located on Long Pond in Jackman. You have to drive down a 5 mile gravel road to get there but I think it's well worth the drive. They have 8 rustic log cabins, with outhouses, and limited electricity. The chances of spotting moose there are very good.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need your help finding a place to go around Jackman.

If it helps put things in perspective -- Jackman has a year-round population of about 700; Greenville about 1,200..... Neither are big, metropolitan areas although both provide basic economic services to huge sections of thinly-settled parts of Maine's northern woodlands.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need your help finding a place to go around Jackman.

You WON'T starve in Jackman!!

I would definitely recommend Schmooses! Is a great place to eat on the North end of Jackman on the east side of main St (left side as you are driving towards the Maine Coast).

Pine wood and northern woods decor with traditional American food.

Send me a DM if you have any questions about Jackman. I've been there at least 15 times and love the peace and quiet up north!

Moosehead Lake...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need your help finding a place to go around Jackman.

Greenville, Maine and Jackman are both wonderful places for you to see moose. If you were to come through Greenville, which is located on the southern tip of Moosehead Lake on Rt 15, you can journey north to Jackman on this route, rather than traveling Rt 201. Greenville is a quaint town, with gift shops and restaurants. We have a couple of pubs in town that you would enjoy ~ one is Flatlanders Pub, the other is Stress Free Moose pub, both are right at the lake. We can help you with your vacation plans in this area, if you so wish.

http://www.mainemoosewatching.com

http://www.northeastguideservice.com

Happy travels!

Reply to: Need your help finding a place to go around Jackman.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jackman