We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing

Silver Spring...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fishing

A friend just bought property on a stream that empties into Frenchman's Bay. I'd like to get him flies/lures for Christmas. Any suggestions?

6 replies to this topic
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing

Do you know if he's planning on salt-water fishing or fresh-water fishing? Or both?

Have never tried the salt-water variety myself, but understand from friends who do both that the gear used for one is not necessarily appropriate for the other.... For anyone trying to make useful recommendations, it would help to know what kind of fishing he plans to do....

Or, for a sure-win gift, give him a gift certificate to L.L. Bean, Maine's premiere outdoor sports clothing and equipment store.....then he can stop into the store when he's in the area, order out of their Fishing Catalog, or shop on-line and get exactly what he needs to go with anything he may already have...

Silver Spring...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing

Thanks for your reply. Primarily fresh water fishing. He will fish in the stream on his property (and the dammed area above his property) which empty into Frenchman's Bay. Where do you fish and what do you use?

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing

My husband's recommendations: Royal Coachman, Doodlebug (red and white fly), Wooley Bugger (sp.?) - both medium and large

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing

Would agree with CB's recommendations as a good starting point...have all of those in my tackle box.... can't recommend too many other commercially produced casting flies; I'm spoiled because I have a friend who ties his own flies and generally custom-ties enough to share every winter so we're ready when spring comes.

As far as casting lures go, always had good luck with a red-and-white Daredevil....

The other perennial favorite with the group I hang out with is the ever-available garden worm....but you really don't want to try to buy those for Christmas because they're better dug fresh just before you plan to use them.

I'd go with CB's list as a good starting point....

Silver Spring...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing

Wonderful! Thanks so much.

Silver Spring...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing

Thank you very much.