We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenville in late October?

Oregon
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Greenville in late October?

Hi: My husband and I were thinking of taking a drive up to Greenville, ME after a conference in Boston in mid-late October. It seems like most things close after October 10, but would it be worth the drive if we were mostly just interested in wildlife viewing? Seems like the dining options will be limited, but is it still worth it just to view nature, or will it be a complete ghost town?

TIA

Helen

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenville in late October?

I don't think it would be worth the drive. If it's moose you are hoping to see, that's close to or in hunting season. They will be shy of the road and of people.

If you want to see beautiful Maine scenery rather than wildlife, come on up to Acadia National Park. Everything up here is still open until the very end of October.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenville in late October?

Everyone should get to kayak on Moosehead lake at least once in their lifetime..................

mainelyadventures.com/images/KingsburyPlt.jpg

greenville, Maine
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenville in late October?

Greenville is a great area anytime of year. Although we do have a moose hunt October 11 - October 16th The moose dont get any smarter that time of year and hide. The area is always beautiful! It is true that some of the restaurants close down but I know that most of the Inn's and lodges stay open until November. I know for a fact that Pleasant Street Innis open year round along with Evergreen lodge and Captain Sawyer House.

Pleasant street inn also does meals for their guests.

Dont let the desperate people on the coast steal you away from an opportunity to see a beautiful area.

It is NOT going to be a waste of time. I hope you enjoy Greenville as much as we do

Augusta, ME
Level Contributor
52 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenville in late October?

Greenville is amazing anytime of the year. The weather is what most Mainers consider perfect--COLD, not cool, nights, and warm, not hot, days, though be sure to bring warm clothes because the days can even be "crisp." Moose are stupid and do not hide from hunters. In fact, many are "taken" quite close to the roads. This is desirable because it means you don't have to haul them out of the woods so far, which is quite a job. You may see some that have been shot, but don't let it disturb you. The hunt is helpful as it keeps their numbers down. Too many moose mean that many will starve in the winter as any natural predators they have had are long ago gone from Maine. If you are inclined to see this part of Maine, go for it..........the coast is the coast, but there is only one Moosehead Lake!!!

Edited: 2:17 pm, August 11, 2010
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenville in late October?

The Greenville area will not be a ghost town in October. You might want to check the Pittston Farm:

http://www.pittstonfarm.com/

However, if you don't wish to drive that far and are looking for good wildlife viewing, another option is the Rangley Lakes area:

http://www.rangeleymaine.com/

(Of course, I also saw a beautiful doe and two spotted fawns alongside the Maine Turnpike a couple of days ago in the Portland area...)

As to moose being stupid and just hanging around the woods roads waiting to be shot, I think that's outdated information. Certainly in the first couple of years that the hunt was renewed, the moose were pretty oblivious. However, they have gotten a lot "smarter" and a lot harder to track down. The people shooting them by the road are skilled at calling them in and/or working with a good guide. Hunters are very apt to scout out "their" area weeks ahead of time.

Edited: 2:50 pm, August 11, 2010
Augusta, ME
Level Contributor
52 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greenville in late October?

As I fish the West Branch of the Penobscot quite frequently, I drive the Golden Road quite a lot and almost always see moose standing in plain view from the road--it does not matter what time of year. Moose are no whiz kids.

Edited: 9:50 am, August 12, 2010
7. Re: Greenville in late October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 09, 2011