We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little advice please?!

Which Freeport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort William...
Level Contributor
178 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
A little advice please?!

We are thinking of heading out from the UK to Maine for a vacation next year ~ we will be staying near Freeport but travelling to Freeport from Boston Airport so will be looking to stop off along the way... Would you recommend travelling in Nov/Dec (last week Nov/ first week Dec) or mid April ~ I know neither of these months are ideal but they are the only options we have at the moment!!! (we are a family of 4 with 2 kids age 4 and 7) Thanks!!

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A little advice please?!

I think both time of year are wonderful, and have been in Freeport during those seasons. I love to travel off season. But let me put in a plug for the first week of Dec if you are traveling with children. Freeport [and many other towns in the area] has a kick off the Christmas that first week of Dec [check for dates]. They put on a great night time parade and Santa is just everywhere. It is a very magic place to be.

Fort William...
Level Contributor
178 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A little advice please?!

oooh - that sounds like fun???

Does the weather get very bad in December though?? ie ~ what type of clothing should we bring?!

We live in Scotland so we are really used to the cold but we want to be able to travel and explore and not be snowed in someplace :)

The kids will love to see Santa etc ~ reallyl sounds wonderful!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A little advice please?!

You may see some snow in early December; you are somewhat more likely to see rain---southern Maine and downeast coastal Maine generally see their largest snowfalls after the New Year, most often in February and March.

Try this link---from Weather Underground's trip planner:

http://tinyurl.com/sg22w

There are a couple of errors in the summary stuff, but the tables look OK.

Depending on when your flight arrives in Boston, you might not need to stop over somewhere unless you really want to---Boston to Portland, ME is about two hours driving time, Freeport is another 20 mintues further on.

I, too, would recommend early December. In much of Maine, April is known as "mud season"---no longer winter but not yet spring.

Fort William...
Level Contributor
178 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A little advice please?!

HHHMMMM ~ don't know about the mud idea!! We have enough of that in Scotland :)

Thanks for the link ~ will check it out!

Fort William...
Level Contributor
178 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A little advice please?!

HHHMMMM ~ don't know about the mud idea!! We have enough of that in Scotland :)

Thanks for the link ~ will check it out!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A little advice please?!

I'd definitely recommend late November over mid-April. You are more likely to find things open for the Thanksgiving and Christmas trade, whereas in mid-April people are only thinking about getting open for the first of May. I agree with the poster who suggested you need not stop between Boston and Freeport. It's not all that far.

You might want to take a day-trip up the coast of Maine from Freeport to Camden. Camden has a quaint downtown area with lovely little shops and restaurants that generally stay open until Christmas.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A little advice please?!

myislandhideaway:

"HHHMMMM ~ don't know about the mud idea!! We have enough of that in Scotland :)

Indeed. Where in Scotland do you live?

Fort William...
Level Contributor
178 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A little advice please?!

thank you to all who have replied...

We live on the Shetland Islands (right at the top of Scotland ~ 12 hours on a boat from Aberdeen!!) OR an hour and a bit by plane which is much more preferable :)

Please keep the suggestions coming ~ this sounds like great fun! I think our cabin is about half an hour from Freeport....

New England
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A little advice please?!

I have a house in Georgetown Maine - about 1/2 hour north of Freeport. Would you consider trading a week at your place for a week at ours?

Fort William...
Level Contributor
178 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A little advice please?!

for sure :)