We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freeport in January? Is that crazy?

New Haven...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Freeport in January? Is that crazy?

I'm planning a weekend getaway to Freeport, Maine for the boyfriend and in eithe rJanuary or February. We have a tight budget, so it looks like we'll making our reservations for the Econo Lodge. I understand there's the outlets there, but is there much else to do in the winter months in Freeport, or should we hold off our trip until Spring or Summer? I understand Portland is not far away....

Thanks for your help!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freeport in January? Is that crazy?

Tough question to answer without some idea of what other things might interest you...

Wolf's Neck State Park technically never "closes", so if you're physically able and interested, you can take a walk there... unless we get a lot more snow, in which case cross-country skis or snowshoes may be a better option.

L.L. Bean offers Discovery Courses for folks who want to learn how to cross-country ski or snowshoe. Details on their website -- just Google L.L. Bean

Even in the summer, Freeport is best known for its outlet shopping and the L.L. Bean complex. Not sure what other kinds of activites you might have in mind....

Portland is a short, easy drive (unless you get a bad storm) from Freeport... figure about half an hour from downtown to downtown....

Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Freeport in January? Is that crazy?

One good thing about that timeframe is that alot of LLBean Christmas returns start showing up in the outlet store.

Level Contributor
49 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freeport in January? Is that crazy?

My in-laws stayed at the Econo Lodge and are not picky but would not recommend it. If you're looking for a getaway with two great nearby bars, then you should still consider the Freeport area and check out Gritty's and Buck's Naked BBQ.

If you want the harbor, shops, bars, restaurants, etc, then stay in Portland.

You should be able to find hotel deals in Jan/Feb.

Edited: 8:48 pm, December 18, 2012
Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
4. Re: Freeport in January? Is that crazy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, February 05, 2014