We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Popham Beach State Park vs Boothbay Harbor

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Popham Beach State Park vs Boothbay Harbor

Hello. We will be in Freeport for a couple days next week, with two boys ages 12 and 13. If we have a free afternoon and evening, would we do better to head towards Popham Beach State Park or Boothbay Harbor? I am looking for some beautiful coastal scenery... my sons will be looking for food:-) Recommended activities are also welcome.

Maine
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Popham Beach State Park vs Boothbay Harbor

Popham is my favorite beach, but while it's a beautiful beach, it is still only a beach(with a small snack bar). Boothbay Harbor will offer a much more diverse afternoon. Definitely more food options for your sons.

Boothbay would be my choice unless you just want to swim and hang out at the beach.

BTW, if you find yourself with less available time (2-3hours) you could check out Wolf's Neck State Park in Freeport. Has wonderful walking trails through the woods and along the coast.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Popham Beach State Park vs Boothbay Harbor

Yup -- Soxfan has described your options very well .... For anything other than pure "beach time" Boothbay Harbor will definitely be a better choice, especially if you want multiple food options as well.... Boys (and you) might even want to check out some of the harbor cruises in Boothbay -- fun hour or so on the water, chance to see seals, etc....

Old Lyme...
Level Contributor
375 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Popham Beach State Park vs Boothbay Harbor

Your options are outlined pretty clearly above. We like Popham as one of our favorite mid-coast beaches, so if swimming appeals to your boys, there it is. (Beaches are quite variable with tides, but when we were last there a few years ago, sand bars allowed the summer sun to warm the water closer to shore, and it was very pleasant vs.typical Maine ocean swimming). Can always try for a beach picnic, but Boothbay clearly has way more food options. You could also investigate a ferry ride around off-shore islands on other threads here.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Popham Beach State Park vs Boothbay Harbor

Thank you all so much. I was fully planning to do Boothbay Harbor, but our morning activities ran late and I didn't feel like we had enough time to go that far. So... we went to Popham Beach and loved it! The tide was on its way out, the water was warm, it was uncrowded and gorgeous. My sons even admitted that it was a great choice. Woohoo.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Popham Beach State Park vs Boothbay Harbor

Glad to hear it worked out well....whether by plan or by accident....still a memorable visit for them (and you)....and that's what really matters...

6. Re: Popham Beach State Park vs Boothbay Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 08, 2012