We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Boston to Freeport

Shoreham-by-Sea...
Level Contributor
14 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Boston to Freeport

We are driving from Boston to Freeport what are the best places to stop on the way.

Freeport, Maine
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Boston to Freeport

Depending on time and interest, Gloucester, Mass (home of the Perfect Storm), Rockport, Mass (scenery, shops, restaurants), Essex and Ipswitch, Mass (history, old houses, antiques), Portsmouth, NH (cute downtown, food), Kittery, Maine (outlet shopping), Stonewall Kitchen, Cape Neddick lighthouse (the Nubble) near York Beach, Maine, Ogunquit, Maine's Marginal Way, the Maine Diner in Wells, Maine, Kennebunk and Kennebunkport, Maine, Cape Porpoise, Maine, Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse (Two Lights), Portland Head Lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth, the Old Port in Portland.

Shoreham-by-Sea...
Level Contributor
14 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Boston to Freeport

So much to do looks like we should have given ourselves more time. Many thanks.

Freeport, Maine
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Boston to Freeport

Ha! We hear that a lot.

BTW, I neglected to mention Salem, Mass - famous for the witch trials of early America.

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Boston to Freeport

We are staying in Freeport. Can you take a day trip to Boston from there or is it too far?

Shoreham-by-Sea...
Level Contributor
14 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Boston to Freeport

We drove up to Freeport via Salem, Gloucester and Kennebunkport without using the Interstate I would imagine that Freeport to Boston direct on the Interstate would take about 2 to 3 hours so I think it might be a long day.

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Boston to Freeport

mapquest says it's 2 1/3 hrs. i'd allow more to factor in city traffic or perhaps park and take commuter train/subway at some point (e.g. Logan Airport) to avoid taking car into Boston.

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Boston to Freeport

I have done several day trips to Boston from Freeport. No problem. I think mapquest is taking traffic into account. I have made it in less than two hours, always less than three. Also, if you want to see Portland Head Light and the Old Port section of Portland (both recommended), you can easily get there from Freeport, so it doesn't all have to be done on the way.

Freeport, Maine
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Boston to Freeport

We often drive from Freeport to Logan Airport in Boston - just over 2 hours, fairly consistently via I-95 (and I-295 from Portland to Freeport). It is just a bit farther to Boston's downtown areas. You can also (a) park near a T stop, and take the T into Boston, or (b) take the train from Portland to Boston (about 2.5 hrs, with wifi on board).

A drive to Boston and back in a day is quite manageable, unless you plan to see all the sights along the way on US-1 - that can add as much time as you care to take...

9. Re: Driving from Boston to Freeport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:29 am, May 09, 2011