We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking in Boothbay, Maine

Boston
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking in Boothbay, Maine

I am interested in kayaking around Boothbay through its beautiful inlets and bays with my ten and fourteen year olds. It would be great fun to kayak to some little quaint restaurant. Any ideas where we might rent and paddle to? The kids are experienced, although I don't want alot of open ocean. Thanks

Boston
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking in Boothbay, Maine

Sorry - I put this in the wrong forum (Camden instead of Boothbay).

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking in Boothbay, Maine

Hi Bostonbiker,

Replied to your post in the Camden vs Boothbay thread. Should have read through all the posts before I responded :). Am out of town, a bit weary from time changes, and didn't have internet access for awhile, so am now just catching up and trying to respond to anyone having questions re: Boothbay Harbor.

Regarding kayak rental places. There are 3 locations.

The first is right in town and is called Tidal Transit Kayak www.kayakboothbay.com.

the next is East Boothbay Kayak www.eastboothbaykayak.com;

and the last Salty Kayaks, is located on Southport Island www.graysoceancamping.com.

Each kayak company offers their own particular areas to kayak in.

Tidal gives easy access to kayaking right in the harbor and all the neat little spots, restaurants, etc.

EBB Kayak offers easy access to the Damarascotta River which is quiet and offers very pretty views, nooks and crannies as well as access to the open ocean to paddle around in.

The last, Salty Kayaks offers easy access to outer Boothaby Harbor, Squirrel Island, the Cuckholds Lighthouse, and the Newgagen area and Cape Islands, where you could dock your kayak and have access to the Newagen Inn where you could dine and/or get out and walk their many trails.

Each location has it's merits. It's all a matter of what your preferences are. I've kayked mostly in Linekin Bay which is just around Spruce Pt from Boothbay Harbor itself. It's a lovely area, much more quiet than BBH, with islands, nooks and crannies, and offers plenty of scenic views. This would be a relatively easy kayak from downtown BBH and not require much open ocean to get to.

Regarding kayaking in general; I prefer late afternoons or early evenings an hour or so before sunset. The water's calm then, wildlife and birds are more likely to be out and about (osprey's almost always out hunting for dinner then and they are magificent to watch), and there's nothing like watching the sunset from a kayak in the middle of a quiet bay :).

Whatever company or area you choose will be fine. Have a great time :).

cozyharbor

Boston
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking in Boothbay, Maine

Thanks so much cosyharbor! Your information was a big help. With the scenery available near Boothbay Harbor, I don't know how we couldn't have a great time.

I read in a previous post that you used to live in Marshfield. You are probably very familiar with Hingham Harbor. My husband and I kayaked there two weeks ago and sat on an island eating lunch with a view of the Boston Harbor. Really looking forward to spending a memorable day on the water in your neck of the woods. Thank you for the infor.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking in Boothbay, Maine

Hi Again Bostonbiker,

Just wanted to respond to your last post and wish you a great vacation in BBH :). Also, I know Hingham very well as that's where I used to live and not in Marshfield. Used to take the commuter ferry into Boston for work. Talk about a great and totally relaxing way to travel each day into the city!

Anyway, enjoy the kayaking around BBH and don't forget while in town to enjoy the best ice cream in the area at the Downeast Ice Cream Factory :).

cozyharbor

Boston
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking in Boothbay, Maine

Hi Cosyharbor,

You sure know how to pick beautiful places to live! I'm hoping to spend some quality time in Hingham this fall trying out sculling at the Lincoln Maritime Center. Sounds like a wonderful way to combine exercise and the gorgeous views in Hingham Harbor.

Thanks for the ice cream recommendation. The owner of our own local ice cream shop knows me by name, so we'll be sure to look up your favorite.

Boston
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking in Boothbay, Maine

Cosyharbor,

Just wanted to report back after our week-end away. We stayed at the Rocktide hotel which was perfect for the price and location. We spent the afternoon on the water with the Tidal Transit Kayaking Co. exploring the coast and the mouth of the Sheepscot River. My ten year old was especially thrilled with the seals! We also had a lovely morning jumping the rocks at Ocean Point, and plenty of great meals. Thank you for all your replies to my questions and others, you were a big help.

7. Re: Kayaking in Boothbay, Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, August 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Camden