We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costal maine trip, any suggestions?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
costal maine trip, any suggestions?

Hi, my husband and I are planning a trip to Maine mid august.

We are planing to stay in 4 towns starting in Camden, Boothbay harbor, Kennebunkport, then ending in Portland. This will be our first itme in Maine and unfortunately we are both allergic to seafood so I'm a little worried about where to eat. Any suggestions? We're planning on whale watching maybe whitewater rafting and hiking. Anywplace in aprticular we shoudl go? We will have a car. Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: costal maine trip, any suggestions?

I can't provide any specific recommendations for most of your visit .

Each place you mention undoubtedly has restaurants that serve only (or very close to that) seafood. However, there will be many other restaurants that have diverse menus---and more and more Maine restaurants are featuring locally grown/produced foods.

I'm not sure that you'll find any whitewater rafting venues along the coast (under the right conditions, there would be whitewater sea-kayaing, I suppose ;-->).

In Portland, my favorite restaurant is Fore Street.

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: costal maine trip, any suggestions?

Reesie: We recently returned from a wonderful trip to Maine. After spending a day in Freeport, we travelled to East Boothbay (very close to Boothbay Harbor). I highly recommend staying at Ocean Point Inn in East Boothbay. It is located right on the ocean and the scenery is magnificent. What a wonderful experience to watch the lobstermen pulling in their morning catches. We also travelled to The Forks for a white water rafting experience. We booked with the outfitter Northern Outdoors and they were absolutely awesome. We had never rafted before and we had a fantastic time. Don't worry about the seafood thing. All of the restaurants that we ate at had lots of choices that weren't seafood. Have a great trip.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: costal maine trip, any suggestions?

Hi Reesie808,

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip/itenary planned :).

second the suggestion about staying at the Ocean Pt. Inn. It's location is truly spectacular and the Inn has a wonderful reputation.

However, if you want to be right in town or just want to see what else is out there, then check out www.boothbayharbor.com and click on the visitor window. A list of almost every accomodation in the area will come up (including the OPI) providing a link so you can check the various websites.

As far as dining out is concerned. Not to worry! Just about every restaurant, even the lobster shacks offer burgers and other non fish entres.

In Boothbay Harbor for lobster shack type places where you can enjoy the atmosphere but have a good burger, etc., try Robinson's Wharf just over the bridge on Southport Island (about 10 minutes from downtown BBH) or the Lobster Dock on the east side. Both have wonderful views and good food.

For more of a sit down dinner atmosphere try the Thistle Inn on Oak St.., McSeagulls which sits right on the harbor, or the Rocktide on the east side. All three have great food, wonderful atmosphere, and the Thistle and McSeagulls offer entertainment in the evenings.

For breakfast or lunch the Ebb Tide on Commercial St. is great. Very basic and simple but inexpensive and good, hardy food. They're the type of place that serves breakfast all day. They have wonderful desserts too.

The Blue Moon Cafe also on Commercial St. is another wonderful restaurant that sits right on the water and offers a nice diversity of items from chowders, soups, sandwiches, to crab cakes, quesadillas, omelets, and also great desserts. They are only open for breakfast and lunch.

93 Townsend has a really nice caesar salad with cornbread croutons and a choice of toppings including chicken. Their steak is good too.

Outside of town, the Ocean Pt. Inn's restaurant is nice along with the Lawnmeer and Newagen Inn on Southport Island. All 3 have wonderful views of the water and consistently good food.

Twenty minutes outside of BBH is Le Garage in Wiscasset overlooking the water and The Damarascotta River Grill on Main St. close to Reny's. Both are great and have wonderful ambience and good food and service.

Two other casual places for breakfast or lunch are Mama D's on Union St. and the Townsend Ave. Coffee and Wine Bar. Mama D's is run by two women who cook and bake everything there and has a wonderful and welcoming atmosphere. Even their dog will greet you when you arrive :).

Townsend W & C Bar has a nice though limited menu, sofas and coffee tables, seating at the windows for great people watching, and wi-fi if you bring your laptop.

While in BBH think of taking the boat out to Monhegan Island. This will take an entire day (from about 9 to 4ish) but will be well worth the trip. Monhegan is an enchanting island and one you'll never forget. While there hike to the lighthouse and then out to White Head Bluff. The views are spectacular. Bring a picnic lunch and your camera.

Right in town is a kayaking rental place where they'll easily set you up and you'll be able to head right out into the harbor in no time.

For light hiking and easy trails try the Boothbay Region Land Trust's properties. These are not difficult but are usually comfortable strolls through woods, meadows, along shoreline and quiet coves.

For further info on BBH try and read the thread sre: Boothbay/Camden and/or the BBH/Camden/Bar Harbor forums. They'll give you lots of insider info.

Good luck and if I can be of any further help, post again :).

cozyharbor

4. Re: costal maine trip, any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Camden