We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poor Reviews for SMB

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
128 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Poor Reviews for SMB

I was thrilled to book our first trip to SMB last week and much of it was based off the stellar reviews and photos here on TA. Then this week there seems to have a been a run of poor reviews siting everything from rampant illness, poor service, and pushy salesmen to poor food, fake top shelf drinks, and rowdy crowds. I really hope this is simply an anomaly and/or fake reviews written by competitors or bitter customers. Otherwise, I may be second guessing my booking. Hopefully the wonderful TA community out there can assuage my fears. Cheers!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Poor Reviews for SMB

I agree that SMB is generally overpriced compared to other AO\AI resorts of similar caliber and I would only return if we were getting what I thought was a good deal. The fact is however, that there are not many similar resorts in the area that are on spectacular beaches. Leblanc, Live Aqua and Royal Hideaway are the only ones that come to mind. If you don't want to stay in Cancun or you must have a balcony then that rules LB and LA out. If you don't want a whisper quiet resort and\or do not want to make reservations for dinner then Royal Hideaway is out.

If you did your research and looked into the alternatives and decided SMB was right for you in the first place then I would not let 2 recent mediocre reviews deter you. Just my .02.

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Poor Reviews for SMB

We loved SMB when we were there a couple years ago. We have stayed at many resorts ( Both Excellence resorts, IB Grand, RIu Palace etc.) and SMB was our favorite. The service, beach and pool area were great. Loved how the chef's would come around the pool and serve some of their culinary creations. The daily taco cart moving around the pool area was great too. The entertainment staff was awesome. We loved some of the restaurants and others we okay but that happens at every resort we have stayed at.

You will see reviews both good and bad, every bodies idea of a perfect resort is different. For example one reviewer said they got sick at SMB but they loved the Excellence PM. I really enjoyed Excellence PM but I got sick there and never at SMB, everybody has a different view.

Have a great vacation and enjoy yourself at SMB. No worries.

Pekin, Illinois
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Poor Reviews for SMB

I honestly don't know what these people are talking about. Sometimes I wonder if they are actually reviewing the correct hotel...LOL:) My husband and I have been there the last 4 out of 5 years we have gone to Mexico. We absolutely LOVE it and agree with every positive review there is. One year we decided to try somewhere else and we went to Iberostar Grand Parasio. It was really nice too but NOTHING like Secrets Maroma Beach. We are leaving again in less than 3 weeks to go back. Yes, there is a time share 'breakfast' that does take FOREVER. But, if you go there knowing that then just say you are not interested. That is what we have done and have had no problems at all. You will love it...enjoy!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Poor Reviews for SMB

I've never been to SMB so I have no idea if the complaints are anywhere close to valid but I price vacation packages daily, often several times a day. There are some sights that have SMB at such high rates that all I can think about is "man, if we were paying that amount for a week in the Riviera Maya we would expect perfection". Sometimes I think people directly compare what they paid for a trip to the experience they want to have. I'm sure SMB is fabulous but when you have resorts like the Valentin Imperial Maya (also adults only and sits on a beautiful beach) that come in 1/2 as much as SMB sometimes then you're going to get people who pick SMB apart.

Combine that with people who don't do proper research and/or complain about things not in the resorts control with legitimate service issues and even the highest rated resorts will get their fair share of negative reviews.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Poor Reviews for SMB

My general rule of thumb for reviews is that if the majority are reasonably good, I take it as a good sign, above all remember reviews are very subjective my heaven could be your hell and Vice versa, we stayed at a place in Tenerife a few years back, and it was the worst place I have ever been, yet some people loved it

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
318 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Poor Reviews for SMB

We've been to SMB a few times and enjoyed every stay. The beach is absolutely beautiful. I do have to agree with a few posters above though, with the recent price increases and constant capacity issues I'll be looking elsewhere until those fall back into more of what I deem acceptable levels of value. I don't fault them for raising prices since they are seemingly always at/above capacity but like everything else, the market will eventually level back out and that's when I probably go back. I wouldn't fret though, relax and enjoy, it's a beautiful resort with wonderful service!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
128 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Poor Reviews for SMB

thanks for all the great feedback. this will be out 6th trip to the Riviera Maya so I've obviously read poor reviews about other places we have stayed (The Royal, LeBlanc) but it was just the timing of multiple poor reviews right after I booked that got me thinking. some of those reviews have actually since been removed so may have likely been fake. we are going to last week of September so hopefully the capacity won't be an issue. In terms of value, I do feel we got a good deal as we are paying $4900 w/ airfare for 8 nights in the preferred club. I felt the pricing was very competitive with Excellence, LeBlanc, The Vine, and others.

18. Re: Poor Reviews for SMB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 27, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Playa Maroma