We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SMB dress code

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
SMB dress code

I have read many different replies to whether the dress code is strict or not and have read a few people being upset about the dress code not being enforced. Here's how it is. It is definitely enforced, as they would not let my husband in the Asian a la carts with shorts. The a la carts that are open air and have a patio you don't need long pants. These include the seafood and steak house out around the pool. The other four are inthe lobby area and require long pants.

1. Re: SMB dress code

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:16 am, October 15, 2013
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,428 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SMB dress code

However, as I mentioned in my live from thread when we were there recently due to the wet weather and the number of mosquitoes that were about when the outside terraces were closed for the likes of the Himitsu, El Patio, Portofinos, Bordeaux they were allowing men inside wearing shorts

Big mistake as far I was concerned so I am glad things are back to how they should be

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
America, The...
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SMB dress code

Gosh, I think it sounds like SMB is a compassionate resort that was trying to be understanding of their guests and flexible under the most extreme weather conditions...throwing them a bone when their stays were already marred by terrible weather.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
413 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SMB dress code

we were there during the bad rain & saw men in the restaurant with shorts. however, we did not see it mentioned anywhere that it was ok unless we missed it in the daily news sheet. my dh would have welcomed the opportunity!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,428 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SMB dress code

Pipedreamers

As far as I am aware they did not mention the relaxation anywhere as they did not want to advertise it. From talking with one of the F&B Managers he said more people were unhappy about it than happy with it as if they had made the effort they could not see why others should not as well

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SMB dress code

< From talking with one of the F&B Managers he said more people were unhappy about it than happy with it as if they had made the effort they could not see why others should not as well>

I would have to guess that the only ones that they were hearing from were the kind of unhappy guests who choose to go and speak with the managers to complain about things like the relaxation of the dress code. They probably didn't do a survey of all guests (like Pipedreamers here, for example, who didn't know about the change and who clearly wasn't asked her opinion) in the restaurants during or after their meal or even a large sample to see how they felt about it. That would be annoying and intrusive. Sounds like a small and biased sample to me, so not sure how the F and B manager would be able to make such a claim, except by impression based on the "squeaky wheel." I still give kudos to SMB for their compassionate flexibility under what sounds like extreme conditions.

Edited: 12:40 pm, October 15, 2013
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SMB dress code

As an average traveller I would hope that I would be having such a lovely holiday that what other people were wearing wouldn't even enter my head. I definitely wouldn't be talking to management about it. I think the staff at SMB must be extremely patient and I'm glad they were understanding about the weather conditions and managed to be flexible with the dress code.

Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SMB dress code

I agree with you both, ObamaCountry and Hopefullyhappyhols. We like to dress up, but I don't care if others do or don't and couldn't imagine dress code being a big enough deal to rouse myself from my Crown and Cokes, gluttony, and beach time to talk to management about it :) It is nice to hear the staff takes pity on travelers who have planned for outdoor sitting but are forced indoors due to unforseen circumstances.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
413 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SMB dress code

Since this was a rare occurrence, raining for about 20 days, I agree that it was compassionate of the resort to be flexible under the circumstances. They should have put a blurb in their newsletter, because now you have people upset that would have liked to wear shorts, but chose to abide by the dress code (dh), as well as those that were unhappy with the management decision to relax the code.

Although we had a great time, we did not have the opportunity to enjoy some of the most important things that you go on vacation for (beach, pools) during that period. Not only did it rain, but it was cold due to the wind. Their public relations person/dept. chose to offer this "perk" to help their guests feel a bit more relaxed in the evening, as many were very stressed from what we heard that they paid for this vacation and it was ruined. I commend the resort for the temporary perk BUT most guests were unaware of it, so why bother offering the perk if you don't tell anybody about it!!!!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,428 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SMB dress code

I think on the night that a number of us asked about if the dress codes rules had been relaxed it was because one person look as they they were one of the pool maintenance staff complete with baseball cap and another couple of men looked like they had stepped straight off the beach

They looked totally out of place in the Bordeaux

Each to their own - we all have different standards

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Get answers to your questions about Playa Maroma