We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't decide..Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Secrets Maroma

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can't decide..Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Secrets Maroma

We've been to Cancun twice (Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach). Playa del Carmen is next on our list and we would like to explore to the Tulum area as well. We both enjoyed the beach, pool, all-inclusive food and wanted to be able to walk around shops/restuarants/ etc..We have narrow down to these two wonderful properties. Any feed back about these two hotels would greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

- Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

or

- Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't decide..Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Secrets Maroma

Been to FAGCB and SMB and the Grand.

IMO those two are in the top 10 resorts down there. Both have a different vibe, my husband likes the Grand more while I like Secrets better. My recomendation is to split your time between the two. Simple 10 minute taxi and an hour out of your time to transfer. Always good to break up the stay.

Here are many photos of both to help you decide.

http://www.surfnorthwest.com/vacation2010.htm

Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't decide..Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Secrets Maroma

Keep in mind that SMB and IB Grand are not within walking distance of the shops and restaurants of Playa Del Carmen. They both are located a good taxi cab ride away from PDC. If you want a top quality resort within walking distance of 5th Ave in Playa, I would recommend Royal Hideaway.

st louis, mo
Level Contributor
113 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't decide..Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Secrets Maroma

Just returned from SMB and have been to the Grand. Liked them both very much. The beach at SMB is nicer. The pool at the Grand was nicer. Service, liquor, food, at both was very good. At the Grand you do reservations at SMB you put your name in and they give you a beeper. The clientele at SMB trended younger and coupled. There were more no upcharge wines to pick from at the Grand. You can walk all five Iberostar properties when you stay at the Grand. The Grand had grilled lobster at lunch which puts it over the top for my wife. At SMB there were several attempts at upselling and Timeshare selling that I found annoying. At SMB the cabanas at the beach were extra, you could avoid waiting for a table if you bought a bottle of wine and they steered you to the timeshare sharks to get your coupons upon arrival(easy to avoid but annoying). I'd go to either tomorrow and base my choice on price and availability. If walking around to shops and restaurants are really a priority neither of these properties fit. You are pretty much locked in particularly at SMB. We've done many all inclusives, and have also rented a villa in Puerto Morelos where we could easily walk into town. Liked doing both but they are different vacations. No wrong choices, just choices.

Calgary
Level Contributor
651 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't decide..Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Secrets Maroma

Agree with greygunz. Also, the Grand includes 2 rounds of golf at a fabulous course. Both are great we have been to the Grand 4 times and going to Secrets for the second time in Dec. I pick by price, if they are within $100 or $200 I would pick the Grand hands down. Have a great vacation.

Edited: 4:04 pm, September 07, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't decide..Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Secrets Maroma

Thank you everyone for your great feedback.

Boston...
Level Contributor
47 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't decide..Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Secrets Maroma

stayed at IB (not the grand) but walked the beach and took boat ride out pasts Maroma - Maroma looked so much more intimate and less build up..

Scranton, PA
Level Contributor
139 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't decide..Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Secrets Maroma

I've stayed at the Iberostar Grand 3 times and loved it each time. Now I'm looking for someplace different to try and have also been looking at Secrets Maroma. Their beach looks nicer. But, it's me, my sister and 2 daughters and I'm concerned Secrets might be more for couples only. I think price is going to be my deciding factor in the end.

Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't decide..Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Secrets Maroma

That was the same dilemma I had a couple months ago.....which one of those two. Neither of us have ever been to Mexico and had no idea which resort to choose. In the end we booked the Grand and hope we will enjoy it. Leaving in 9 days!

Maybe next trip we'll try out Secrets because it was a tough decision and both sound very nice.

st louis, mo
Level Contributor
113 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't decide..Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Secrets Maroma

SMB is a little couple dominant. Although I hear it can be overrun by the occasional corporate group. The room layout with a very open bathroom would not lend itself to non couples. There is a see through curtain separating the Jacuzzi tub from the bedroom, which makes for very little privacy.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't decide..Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Secrets Maroma

If I make to SMB, I plan on bringing a black-out curtain....

That should help with light when DH is up earlier than I am in the mornings.

Might help with the privacy and sound a little it as well.

Just don't know how we will hang it!

That see-thru panel seems to be hanging, permanently installed, inside the wood-work there.

Don't know how staff would clean or replace them if needed, if you can't get to them???