We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sprucewold Lodge

Which Boothbay Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Trevose...
Level Contributor
113 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
The Sprucewold Lodge

Hello...Has anyone stayed at the Sprucewold Lodge in Bothbay Harbor? It is an old log cabin lodge 1 mile outside of town. They are very nice on the phone, but I can't find any reviews on it. It looks absolutely beautiful. Can't decide whether to stay there one night, or possibly the Driftwood Inn in Baileys Island, or stay the whole time at Ocean Pointe Inn. Any Suggestions? Or can you reccommend anywhere else from Boothbay to Ogunquit where the rooms are on the water, and not too expensive?

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Sprucewold Lodge

Dear HrComsTrbl,

You have a tough decision to make! I can't speak to Baily Island as I'm not very familiar with the area. But I am with BBH, so here goes.

The difference between Sprucewold and Ocean Pt. is like night and day.

Sprucewold is heavily wooded with meandering narrow roads. There is a beautiful half-and-low tide, sandy beach with float that you can swim out to. Only lodge visitors and members of the Sprucewold community are allowed to use it. The views are gorgeous, it's very calm, and a great place to swim. There is also access to a dock and float for boating purposes whether it be sail, power, or kayak next to the beach.

Sprucewold is a world onto it's own and feels a million miles away from town even though it's a very short distance. If you're in good shape, you could walk to town via the footbridge and it would take you about 20 minutes or so. There are lots of good walking/jogging roads with scenic views of woods, on out to the souther tip of Spruce Point where you'll see open ocean, islands, lighthouses, etc. There is even an old Indian Path that run alongs the shore that runs from Lobster Cove and Crest Ave. to the Spruce Pt. Inn on Spruce Pt. . There are beautiful views from the path of coves, bay, and eventually open ocean and islands. It's a relatively easy hike that'll take you about a couple of hours depending on how speedy you are :).

The Lodge itself doesn't have waterviews. At least I don't think so. Maybe once on the porch or upper floors it might. Anyway, it's urrounded by tall evergreens, woods, and wildlife. Most likely you'll see deer, fox, red and flying squirrels, mink, ospreys, and even owls.

The Inn looks to be well maintained and has pretty flower boxes at the windows and a nice porch to sit on. It's about a 10 minute walk to the beach and dock down a very windy, heavily wooded, and steep road. If you're not in good shape you can drive as there is parking for about 10 cars tops. The beach is rarely crowded thus there are usually parking spaces available.

If you like a mountain meets the sea feel, dark and woodsy, and rustic accomodations in a cabin type setting, you'll love Sprucewold.

Ocean Point on the other hand is totally different in feel. It sits at the

at the very southern tip of Linekin Neck, has lots of turn of the century summer cottages, a road that runs along the rocky shore with views out to 4 lighthouses, islands, outer Boothbay Harbor, and open ocean.

It's a beautiful area, very light and bright, and the sunsets are magnificent.

However, it gets very busy and congested during the summer with tour buses, walkers, sightseers, etc. If you like peace and quiet and privacy then it may not be your thing.

The Ocean Pt Inn itself is lovely, though I haven't stayed there in years. But from what I hear and see it's very well maintained and it offers an outdoor pool and tennis. There's also a town dock you can fish off of or boat from. Not too far from the Inn, about a 15 minute walk is the Grimes Cove Beach which is a little sandy and alot rocky, but very scenic. It too has a float you can swim out to.

I think that's about it. Each place has it's own charm so it's really about what appeals to you. I don't think you'd go wrong at either place.

Good luck with your choice and post back if you get the chance and let us know how it went :).

cozyharbor

2. Re: The Sprucewold Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor