We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Maine coast

Which Boothbay Harbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunset Beach, NC
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
visiting Maine coast

Wife and I (senior citizens) are driving up the East Coast from NC. in late August. Am considering a timeshare exchange somewhere along N.E. Coast. I have submittted a request for Bar Harbor but may not obtain accomodations. Have timeshare options in Ogunquit and Wells,MA. but not familiar with the area. We enjoy musems, art galleries, fun pubs, etc. Not interesting in hiking or other such outdoor activities. Would appreciate any advice regarding coastal locations to consider. Thank You.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Maine coast

Assuming you mean Ogunquit and Wells, ME (MA is Massachusetts), I'll offer the following general observations and leave the more-exact comparisons to folks who live closer to those two communities than I do --

The southern Maine coast, which includes Wells and Ogunquit, is generally considered the most heavily developed, most commercial part of the Maine coast. And August is usally their busiest month of the year. While they may have some museums and galleries, other portions of Maine offer better-known examples of both those genres -- although not necessarily the Bar Harbor/Acadia area either. Many of the attractions along the south coast focus on their sandy beaches, something not present along most of the rest of the Maine coast. And while you'll probably find some fun pubs in both those communities, they're likely to be quite busy, so if your vision includes a peaceful, quiet pub evening, that's going to be "iffy".

The last time I checked, timeshare opportunities elsewhere (besides Acadia, Wells and Ogunquit) on the Maine coast were quite limited.... but, depending on which trading organization you're affiliated with, you might also want to check out The Samoset Resort in Rockland.... great "foodie" town with a growing reputation for great restaurants and some fun drinking establishments, home to the world-famous Farnsworth Art Museum and right-next-door to the Owl's Head Transportation Museum, an easy day trip from the outstanding Maine State Museum in Augusta, and historic Fort Knox State Park. Resort is not walking distance to downtown, but may be a better match for your expressed interests than the southern Maine places you mention.

Sunset Beach, NC
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Maine coast

Thank you very much for you informative reply to my inquiry. I spoke to my sister-in-law last night (she is a travel agent) and she also recommended I consider the ME (not MA !) coast between Camden and Rockland. Thanks to people like you I enjoy using Trip Advisor and reading the reviews. this was the first time I posted a question and, thanks to you, am pleased with the result.

Have a great day!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Maine coast

Haveclubs: If your name indicates a golfing habit, you would love the course at the Samoset. I'm not a golfer, but I think the course is beautiful - it overlooks the ocean. I have stayed in a couple of the timeshares at the Samoset and enjoyed both of them. The resort just had a major face lift and the public areas were very well done.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Maine coast

Great catch, CB. I thought about, but forgot to include, the golfing angle in my response.

As part of a group that made the drive to Rockland from Central Maine at least once a year for several years just to play the Samoset, I can tell Haveclubs that it's a great layout. Or at least it was -- couple of our group got too old to go, so the trip kind of faded away. But unless they've changed the course dramatically, which I seriously doubt, it's a fun layout that can challenge player levels from beginner to zero-handicapper depending on the choice of tees and course management as you go along. A few interesting (but playable) water carries; mostly forgiving fairways; and ocean views that leave you spectating instead of playing your next shot. We love the setting, like the layout a lot, and even had a young moose wander across several fairways during a round there several years ago.

Google "Samoset Resort Golf" for course info -- including a hole-by-hole "guided tour"....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Maine coast

Camden sounds right for you, but if planning to visit in August you'd better book something damn soon. At any of these places....Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, Wells, wherever.

Edited: 5:54 pm, July 12, 2011
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting Maine coast

You know, I've seen vacancies everywhere, including the Samoset and some of the more popular resorts in the Kennebunkport area. It definitely doesn't hurt to reserve well in advance, but I'm not sure you should give up hope. :-)

Sunset Beach, NC
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting Maine coast

Thank you for your reply. I play golf 2-3 times a week. Usually score in the low 90s. Every year I think I am going to work on my game but all I do is play, not practice. Best Wishes.

Sunset Beach, NC
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting Maine coast

Thanks to everyone that replied. I made reservations on Martha's Vineyard for a week in September and look forward to my vacation. I made my ferry reservations yesterday. Anyone who has recommendations regarding the resturants, bars, etc on MV is invited to share their favorite spots. :)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting Maine coast

Since you are staying in Martha's Vineyard, MA, you may want to post your questions in the Massachusetts forum.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting Maine coast

Agree that the Massachusetts forum will defintely get you better info re: Martha's Vineyard.

To get there --

Go to the top of this forum and click on Mid-Maine and Coastal Forum

When that page comes up, look for "United States Forum" and click on it

When that list comes up, scroll down to Massachusetts and click on it

That gets you to the Massachusetts forum -- then post your question about

Martha's Vineyard there and wait for the answers to pour in.

And when you're ready for a trip to Maine, come on back and we'll be here to help with your questions....

Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor